Sign in to follow this  
Guest Water Mango

ILS not working in the 744...

Guest Water Mango

I have a problem and can't find an answer in the included manuals for the 744. I can't get the ILS information to show up on the ND screen. I tune in the correct frequency on the NAV/RAD page in the FMC under ILS but I get nothing on the ND screen when I choose the APP page (or VOR page for that matter). Is there more that needs to be entered somewhere besides on the NAV/RAD page??? The DEP/ARR page works just fine on the FMC and I can see the approch on the ND screen with the MAP option chosen but I nothing for the ILS...Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong... :-hmmm

>I have a problem and can't find an answer in the included>manuals for the 744. >>I can't get the ILS information to show up on the ND screen. >I tune in the correct frequency on the NAV/RAD page in the FMC>under ILS but I get nothing on the ND screen when I choose the>APP page (or VOR page for that matter). Is there more that>needs to be entered somewhere besides on the NAV/RAD page??? >The DEP/ARR page works just fine on the FMC and I can see the>approch on the ND screen with the MAP option chosen but I>nothing for the ILS...>>Please someone tell me what I'm doing wrong... :-hmmm Hi Chris,Are you entering the runway course as well as the frequency? It should be entered in the format FFFFF/CCC in the NAV/RAD page. For example: At the airport where I used to fly into, runway 6 is 110.30/060. You would enter your frequency, a forward slash, then the course of the landing runway. Ken.

Guest Water Mango

Thanks Ken,What I entered into the FMC under ILS was 110.75/282 for runway 28R at KSFO. Nothing is showing on the ND screen...One thing that could be a factor here is I did a 'Cold Dark' startup before the flight. I wonder if I forgot to turn something on... :-hmmm

Guest Water Mango

Is there anyone out there that knows or seen anything that would solve my problem above??? :-hmmm

Hi ChrisI read your post and thought I would like to try and answer. I looked up rw 28R in my fsnav program and it quotes the ILS frequency and heading as 111.70/282. Maybe this is the reason why you cannot tune to it on the frequency you quoted. But also if you filled out the depart and arrival data in the fmc is should auto tune to the ils when within rage of the transmitter. but if you are manually tuning the ils radio (and you cannot tune a vor radio to the ils frequency,only the ils frequency in the ils radio) then maybe you have outdated frequency information or my fsnav is incorrect. hope this helps, and always looking for flights to do so if you let us know your flightplan then i would probably fly it and report back.Also in my opinion you should arm and lock in the ILS using the localiser button and have the glide slope above you before pressing the app. button (I think)regardsJohn Calleja

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

I'd like to add to John's comment here by saying you have to properly align the IRS and FMC before takeoff.What I usually do is align the IRS first. When the IRS is aligned I copy over the GPS coordinates to properly setup the FMC (I'm assuming you already know how to configure the FMC). You have to be careful in how this is done or what is done first (IRS then FMC). What you should get like John said above is (on the approach phase of your flight) the proper ILS frequency popping in the NAV/RAD page when you choose the cleared runway on the DEP/ARV page. You shouldn't have to manually punch the runway data into the NAV/RAD page. In the event you do (make sure you have the right frequency) the ND (on the APP page) should show the glideslope/localizer when within range.I had a little problem with this at first myself. I found proper IRS alignment and FMC setup is key. Another thing that works for me is when punching in the route I don't put in the destination airport. Departure and Arrival info are already set before you get to the section to enter the waypoints. You don't have to put that info in again (Departure KDEN, destination KSFO). As to how it's really done in the real world it's my understanding the FMC is patched into a global database where all the pilots have to do is download the proper 'CO Route' for their flight. They never punch in specific waypoints along the desired route. PSS and FeelThere allow you to grab the default FS routes right into the FMC. As to the real world it's almost that simple (depending on the airline I would guess).Give this a try and let us know how you make out... :-)

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest Water Mango

John I wrote the wrong ILS frequency above. You had the right one which was what I was using coming into KSFO. Dillon your suggestion actually worked for me. I followed what you said above and made double sure everything was setup right before the flight. Low and behold when I got to KSFO everything worked. Once again thanks for all your help. See you at the Crystal Airport (KMIC) next weekend. Next time wave before you go barreling past me besides that 172 is bigger than my 152... :-lol Thanks everyone for the help... :-)