Sign in to follow this  
Guest iainfs

737NG 800/900 Autoland Speed Brakes

Guest iainfs

On a single channel approach, I arm the speed brake, and it deploys as normal on touchdown.On a dual channel coupled autoland approach, I again arm the speedbrake, the SPEED BRAKE ARMED confirmation light comes on, but on touchdown the speedbrake does not deploy.I am wondering if this is because the speed brake will only deploy from the armed detent with the throttles at idle, which is perhaps not the case during an autoland as the autothrottle is controlling the throttles. The A/T disconnects on the ground automatically but then perhaps the throttle jumps when it does this, preventing the speed brakes from deploying, even though my joystick throttle is at idle? Just a thought.If it helps, the autobrakes are working fine, and once again the spoilers work fine on a single channel manual flare approach.Help would be much appreciated :) ;-) Thanks a lotIain

With the Dual landing, did you also pull your joystick throttle control back to idle during the flare? Depending on the sim options you have selected, the joystick may be overriding the automatics and holding the thottles slightly above idle.If you have an electically noisy analog joystick, this can cause problems. Sometimes you have to calibrate your joystick thrust lever to show idle a few millimeters in front of the aft stop.Hope this helps.Cheers.Q>

Guest iainfs

When on an autoland, I tend to pull my throttle all the way to idle as soon as I get a flare armed annunciation on the PFD. Me wants a servo :( About the autoland, I get the RETARD thrust message, the throttles close, and the A/T disengages on touchdown, thereby revrerting to my stick throttle as soon as I move it or it makes an electric spike.Perhaps if it makes a big enough spike, then this would make the spoilers automatically go down as they auto-retract when the throttles are advanced, but I think this is unlikely - I haven't noticed any spiking.But it works fine if I pull it back to idle when I am flying manually. My thottle has no calibrating process, it was pre-calibrated. The Z-axis moves all the way from idle to full thrust with no spike at all - it works fine on single channel. I'll investigate further.Thanks

If your throttle is at idle at the bottom of the handle travel, put a little null in the Z axis sensitivity slider at the bottom in your FS setup. This insures idle is at idle.I have a fully registered FSUIPC but in the PMDG self registered version you may or may not have the option to add control spiking filters.Throttles and other analog device axis (converted to digital readout) do not always return to zero in a detent or when bottomed but just above. I found a touch of null in these axis helps.

Guest iainfs

Right, I checked it out. Even with a load of throttle null zone, I still can't get autospoilers on the autoland. I don't think it's anything to do with the throttle. Perhaps, though, it is with my use of FS2Crew?

Guest iainfs

I have found the culprit, but not the solution.It is the autothrottle. I watched the throttles Retard as we flared and though they did come back, it was nowhere near idle at the point of touchdown, more like 20% throttle travel forward of the stops.Am I right in thinking that during an autoland I should be leaving the autothrottles engaged and letting them automatically disconnect on touchdown?When the autothrottles disengage and the throttle levers go to idle, i have to manually extend the spoilers, I guess because the Armed function of the spoilers only works at the point of touchdown with the throttles at idle.

Guest iainfs

Found the solution. After the autothrottles disengage at around 20 feet (but remain armed on the A/T switch), simply cycle your throttle control qucikly a little way up and then back to idle. This makes sure you get idle thrust. If you have calibration issues, instead of cycling the throttle, just press F1.This makes autospoilers work and also eliminates the small bounce on autoland (because the spoilers kill the lift I guess).Thanks for your help

FYI: Still sounds like your having a calibration issue. What are you using for joystick/throttle?

FYI: Still sounds like your having a calibration issue. What are you using for joystick/throttle?

Guest iainfs

Its a logitech extreme 3D pro.Don't think its a calibration issue personally.I think though that I just needed to move the throttle to make it now realise that I was in control of them rather than them being left where the A/T had them before.