Sign in to follow this  
Guest hirnwut

T/O Roll and Opt Crz LVL?!?!

Guest hirnwut

Hey there. During my flight today I faced two problems.The first one was the T/O-Roll again. I practiced the T/O alot during the Type-Rating course and sometimes got a master warning sound. But only sometimes. I was wondering if I am rolling too fast or too slow, but when I forced the 744 to roll very fast it didn't happen. The other day I forced it to roll very slow and it didn't happen. So what is this alarm for? Am I touching the conrete with the rear of the aircraft?The second thing I came over was the Opt Crz Lvl in the FMC. Fuel Planning and FMC told me FL330 would be the optimum initial crz lvl but the aircraft hardly reached that altitude. As I was up there I suddenly got a stick shaker and realized I am close to stall, so I descended to FL320 where I speeded up again. After that I climbed FL330 again and everything was ok.The only thing I can imagine why that happened was that I had a strong back wind (approx 50 kts) during the last climb-phase and the aircraft wasn't able to reach cruise speed, so I had to descend. How do real life pilots handel such a problem? Do they maintain at a certain level before they continueing the climb?Thx in advance@lex

Alex, regarding your question about a strong tailwind. Usually any changes in wind speed are relatively slow as you climb and therefore the airplanes IAS isn

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest hirnwut

Hey there. Thx for the answer. I am using Active Sky 6...I really don't understand, what happend up there.

Hi Alex,I am not sure I fully understand your TO problem but are you saying that the Master Warning sounds? Are you getting an EICAS message that says TO config? Make sure you have the correct TO thrust set, Flaps set correctly and the park brake is off. Are you pressing TO/GA for TO? What derate are you using? The more info you can provide the easier it is to help find you a solution.Same with the later stages of the climb you described. Take a note of things like how much power is set...what the thrust limit is (all on the upper EICAS screen) and what pitch mode you have selected. Take note of the wind and temp as you climb and look for any sudden wind changes. An increasing tailwing with altitude will affect your rate of climb.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Regarding OPT ALT:I need to know more specifically what was going on - what vertical mode were you climbing in, were you using real world weather, etc, what indidcated airspeed were you seeing on the PFD?You should pretty much always be able to reach the FMC's optimum altitude. Tail/Head winds have nothing to do with it - all that does is modify your groundspeed - the wing doesn't care how the air gets moving over it. (whether by wind or by forward motion of the plane through calm air)Real pilots don't get into this kind of situation. What happens in the real world is that the 744 will climb to the optimum altitude or slightly below it, burn off fuel (and thus lose weight) and then "Step Climb" up to a higher cruise altitude where fuel burn is more efficient.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest hirnwut

>Hi Alex,>I am not sure I fully understand your TO problem but are you>saying that the Master Warning sounds? Are you getting an>EICAS message that says TO config? Make sure you have the>correct TO thrust set, Flaps set correctly and the park brake>is off. Are you pressing TO/GA for TO? What derate are you>using? The more info you can provide the easier it is to help>find you a solution.>Same with the later stages of the climb you described. Take a>note of things like how much power is set...what the thrust>limit is (all on the upper EICAS screen) and what pitch mode>you have selected. Take note of the wind and temp as you climb>and look for any sudden wind changes. An increasing tailwing>with altitude will affect your rate of climb.>Cheers>SteveHey Steve. the t/o problem is so strange because it seems to happen only with the type rating course setup of the 744. My takeoff at KSFO yesterday twice as heavy was ok.I load the second lesson and have the aircraft at KBFI RWY. LNAV is activated, VNAV speeds are displayed, parking brake is released. I advance the throttle to about 70% and press TO/GA. I carefully correct the HDG with the rudders. At V1 I have both hands on the yoke. Vr comes very close after V1 and I start to roll. The most difficult thing for me is to reach the 8

Guest hirnwut

>Regarding OPT ALT:>>I need to know more specifically what was going on - what>vertical mode were you climbing in, were you using real world>weather, etc, what indidcated airspeed were you seeing on the>PFD?>>You should pretty much always be able to reach the FMC's>optimum altitude. Tail/Head winds have nothing to do with it>- all that does is modify your groundspeed - the wing doesn't>care how the air gets moving over it. (whether by wind or by>forward motion of the plane through calm air)>>Real pilots don't get into this kind of situation. What>happens in the real world is that the 744 will climb to the>optimum altitude or slightly below it, burn off fuel (and thus>lose weight) and then "Step Climb" up to a higher cruise>altitude where fuel burn is more efficient.Hi Ryan.As far as I remember it was a regular VNAV Climb. VNAV was activated FL330 was given by (the stupid Microsoft) ATC (so it was a "step climb" out of FL240 anyway :-erks). Had 50 knots tailwind by Active Sky real weather and I wasn't monitoring the systems for a moment.I remember the 744 didn't LVL at a lower altitude to gain speed, but tried to climb very slow. The next moment I got the stick shaker and started a descent to FL320. Due to the descent and the lower FL it gained the speed and when back on indicated climb speed (about 300 knots or so) climbing to FL330 was possible.But as I write that stuff down, I realize its not enough information...I am going to load the game again (made a save just before taxi and saved the weather as well) and try it again to give you more infos.Thx anyway@lex