Sign in to follow this  
BobP

Interesting OS comparison...over at simhq...

If you are wondering about relative OS performances you might find this review interesting, with reference to FS2K2:http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/hardware/features/os_shootout/I did because I use Win98Lite, one of the four OSs reviewed.98Lite is a way to take a Windows OS and "nobble" the integrated browser and email client - disintegrating the cumbersome IE and Outlook express code from the registry and Windows Explorer. It leaves you with a very light and fast OS, and the opportunity to use an alternative Browser/Email client like Navigator or Opera, or indeed to separately install IE leaving Windows Explorer unencumbered with web code.98Lite comes in three varieties - from a simple utility to knock IE on the head, and others which give you "quite light" "light" or "very light" Windows OS.I can say that 98Lite is very stable, I havn't seen a BSOD for the two years I have been running it, but progs still lock up very occasionally. I guess XP solves a lot of the problems addressed by 98Lite - but the puiblishers are working on an XP version.Apoogies, moderator,if this seems O/T, but it's a sim related review and relevant to a couple of recent threads in this forum.PH

Hi Phil,This "shootout" was headlined here at AVSIM last week.The results of these test are always chip specific as the results would probably be much different for a P4. The only category that was not address was NOLPD. (Number of lockups per day with Win98 and ME). Since moving to Win2K, I have not had one lockup or hard crash. (6 months)I will give up some speed for stability every time.BobP :)