Sign in to follow this  
veldthui

Navigation Display Terrain view

I had a second go at a real 737NG simulator and one thing they did was turn on the ND as a terrain map. Any reason why this was not done for the 737 and 747?

ever thought that was impossible? and rather that would bring your PC to the knees if it was done?

It's called EGPWS and it's on most planes now with newer software revisions...I'm not sure if it's possible within the current FS framework, but anything is possible for the NGX, I'll certainly throw out the idea to the programmers... ;)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Loiosh

I believe a GPWS was mentioned on the MD-11 product page which looks like fun: Professional Features - Fully featured Auto Flight control system, TCAS, GPWSAn EGPWS on the NGX would be fantastic.

Guest A32X

I believe a few payware GPS units for FS9 have a terrain display feature so I guess it's possible. ;-)-Paul

>I believe a GPWS was mentioned on the MD-11 product page>which looks like fun: Professional Features - Fully featured>Auto Flight control system, TCAS, GPWSThat's not the same thing - GPWS is the standard Ground Proximity Warning System, voice alerts for 2500 through 10 feet on approach, too low terrain, whoop whoop pull up, etc...Enhanced GPWS is the terrain display on the EHSI/ND.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest andyman

Anyone ever look at the FS9 GPS when pressing TER or similar?Reality XP has a guage which does not have a big frame rate hit.

Guys,I use the Reality XP Sandel ST3400 gauge. I have found it very helpful on many of the Bold and Beautiful legs. The only draw back is that you get two sets of altitude call outs (I haven't explored how to turn one off yet). Howver it would be nice to have it integrated into the ND on the upgrade of the B737 for FSX.NeilYPAD

Guest Ruahrc

LAGO's Maddog2004 has a working EGPWS as well. It does inhibit a moderate fps penalty, though. fortunately, however, it is easily turned on and off via the appropriate toggle switch on the panel, so you can bring it up when it is convenient to do so. Definitely something to look at for NGX though!Ruahrc

terrain does show up in the gps on standard fs aircraft. Not sure why pmdg could model this on the display . MS was able to do this on the basic aircraft programming.

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

Just to addThe freeware Tu154b2´s radar has a ground mode showing terrain either, so it seems to be possible, doesnt it?

Guest Cyanide

Hi there, I'm not aware if there are any solutions to the idea of adding a terrain radar to the 737NG's, but I'd like to point out that it is entirely possible, and even quite easy to add the Reality-XP ST3400 to the virtual cockpit in the lower EICAS and even make it popup. (you just need to use the side-side instead of the over-under EICAS setting) I have added it yesterday and it works quite well. As I pointed out, adding the ST3400 isn't that hard, but the next step I'd like to do is to make the terrain radar visible on the ND, just like the WX500 radar. (there are many links on the internet on how to accomplish that, using a custom .gau file and some editing of the panel.cfg) As I am not at home at the moment I cannot provide screenshots, but if there is interest, I could do some screenshots and paste the contents of my panel.cfg My question simply is this: has anybody been able to add the ST3400 to the ND display so that it overlays the nav-information? The whole idea is to make it display only when pressing the "Terr" buton on the EHSI just like the aforementioned WX500 (it overlays neatly after pressing the "WXR" button. Please let me know what the status is in these matters. Regards, Cyanide

Two things I'd like to add:1.:It is NOT a radar, just data taken out of a database and then displayed on the ND.2.:What the default GPS (FS9/FSX) does is substantially different to the terrain display feature from EGPWS: The first one just shows a terrain map as a background, as if you'd look at a good old paper map.The latter displays the terrain relative to the aircraft's altitude and therefore with different colours. So this is not just a map displayed below the ND but a dynamic display changing with position and altitude.Personally I do wish this would be in the MD-11 and we thought about it a long time ago. It IS possible basically, see RealityXP. However since this is a feature the MD-11 didn't have when it was brought into service in Dec. 1990 (they do have it today) it didn't have top priority.Whether or not this can be done without a significant FPS drop and/or without delaying the project further I don't know. This is up to the programmers to decide. Then again we have so many other nice features in mind we would love to see. But somewhere we have to stop or we will never finish...Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest sunbear

Thanks Markus,That should clear up all the confusion regarding the EGPWS.jack

A nice feature would be to offer all NDs with a user option for a transparent background rather than black. This would allow underlaying the ND with user installed displays such as terrain, weather, or other third party gauges.To trigger these displays those third suppliers would supply either solid or transparent controls to overlay EFIS control panel items.The "sophisticated" user could then use a program such as FS Panel Studio to place controls and displays.