Sign in to follow this  
veldthui

Navigation Display Terrain view

Guest Van

One reason that Reality-XP's TAWS/RMI (EGPWS) has no significant frame rate hit is partly due to the gauge reading the sims terrain directly, whether it be default or add-on. this way the terrain display is actually showing whats there, unlike the Maddog 2006 that uses a huge real world terrain database and because of that frame rates can come to a crawl, not to mention that much of the time the terrain display is showing terrain that may or may not be there as we all know that MSFS's terrain can be quite different from the real world.If PMDG does decide to model an EGPWS in the future, then please have the gauge read the sims terrain directly or it will not be very accurate..and you should get good frame rates to boot.Regards,Van (CYHM)

Van-let's get the record straight here:The real world terrain database used by the MD80 is not the reason for a frame rate drop - I am sure these guys just need to optimize a bit further and then you'll see a better result.

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest Van

Nevertheless, you still are not getting totally accurate terrain depiction using a real world terrain database in MSFS. I've seen this again and again flying the Maddog in poor weather conditions in mountainous terrain, almost hitting mountains with neither a visual or aural warning present, where as the RXP TAWS is always spot on. It's also nice not having to have a 741mb terrain database on my HD.In any event, an EGPWS reading MSFS terrain directly is the way to go or whats the point?Regards,Van (CYHM)

I am going to agree with Van's suggestion. If the FS mesh installed is inaccurate it is better to see that on the ND than have a terrain collision (CFIT) in FS. In theory the mesh will echo the real world data base but that is not always the case especially with manually edited/enhanced terrain derived from the SRTM or other sources. If collision detection is turned on in FS you are going to splat if that object is modeled real world or not.In a similar situation, in Radar Contact, our airport navigation aid, runway properties, and gate and taxipaths data is derived from the installed scenery to avoid synchronization problems that can occur with a fixed database. It is important to use the current state of the FS world the user has set up.We do use a fixed database for surrounding terrain to determine a safe altitude (just to be accurate in my statement) in the current version but runway elevation is derived from the installed scenery.