Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Not A Friendly Plane....

Well, I just installed my PMDG 747's and so far, not impressed.Maybe it just works a lot differently than my POSKY models that I used for so long.First off, I want to control the altitude and climb rate via FSNavigator. I don't want to to use the FMC that came with it.I can't seem to manually change altitude or IAS. Haven't yet found the TO/GA button that they speak of.Most annoying is the panel display disappears after about 5 minutes and I've got blank dials.The instructions are not terribly user friendly, if you want to call them instructions.Have you had good luck with this? For $60 I would expect a little more fun out of it.Honus.

I think the reason it is $60 is that it is meant to simulate the actual 747 as close as can be done with MSFS. I think if you were looking for an Airplane to get in and fly (which if thats your preference thats great)you have got the wrong add-on. I believe MSFS should be fun for whoever uses it and however they want to use it. The PMDG aircraft though are meant to appeal to more the hardcore simmers. I think if you spend a little time and learn the systems and FMC you may find new enjoyment in MSFS.

Honus this simulator is as close to the real thing as you can get. The whole heart and soul of the aircraft is the FMC and they way it is integrated with other systems. There is plenty of information available including 4 PMDG lessons as well as a wikipedia tutorial site.Like any new aircraft there is a steep learning curve when first starting out but as you get more conversant with it it becomes very rewarding....much more so than many other sim add ons.The guages will be blank because you have either not validated the product or you dont have the electrical system set up correctly.Try the lessons and most of all....read the manual.At the end of the day it all boils down to whether you want an add on package that looks and flies like the real thing or just sort of resembles it.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

"First off, I want to control the altitude and climb rate via FSNavigator. I don't want to to use the FMC that came with it."You spent $55 for a model? Wow, I could never justify that."I can't seem to manually change altitude or IAS."Did you try the AFDS knobs?"Haven't yet found the TO/GA button that they speak of."Read the manual."Most annoying is the panel display disappears after about 5 minutes and I've got blank dials."That sounds like a verification problem. Try a reinstall and if that doesn't work, contact PMDG support."The instructions are not terribly user friendly, if you want to call them instructions."What else do you need? The manual tells you everything you need to know."Have you had good luck with this? For $60 I would expect a little more fun out of it."I love this plane. My favorite FS addon by far. Probably have well over 1000 hours in it, and am still learning new things.Hope you get everything figured out, and start using the plane the way it's meant to be. :)

Honus, Many others will echo this comment, but I'll say it anyway, you've bought the best airliner simulation available on the home PC market. However this has a flip side, it is by no means a "jump-in-and-go" aircraft, at least not for the first few flights.All of us were casual simmers once but add-ons like this have converted us into very technically skilled systems managers and the rewards therein are huge, far more so than pointing a default 737 at a GPS waypoint 800 miles away and just drilling a hole in the sky. For the $60 I hope you weren't expecting anything less!Don't let the FMC concern you, it's pretty fool-proof, all it requires is a bit of patience and methodical thought.All of us here will help you out with any questions you have provided you take the time to read the manuals and spend some time getting to know your way around the flight deck. I can assure you you won't regret it!ChrsEDIT for spelling

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest nicam

Honus,You obviously didn't read the reviews or this forum, before buying the add-on. If you had you would have know the product is a bit more complicated than the default aircraft in fs9. (understatement!)Michael

honus,i can understand the frustration of moving from freeware aircraft to payware. But the PMDG747 is really worth your time. I always used FSNAV for my climbs and descents but since the PMDG747 i only use it for the moving map :) - you are truely missing out on an amazing sim if you try and bypass the FMC. hope you take some time out to read the manual and also try out those Type Rating Courses that they boys put together.

I dont mean this as an insult, because people like different things, but you might be better off sticking to the posky model and simple panel, which is using the default 747 anyway

Guest hirnwut

If you want short fun...try using something else.I enjoy being as close to reality as possible. The PMDG 744 is as close to reality as possible for the FS9. The next best would be a Lufthansa simulator at EDDF for 900 Euros / hour...If you understand the 744 and love to work with it, you will have the greatest fun you can buy for money and for the FS9.@lex

I'm wondering how much time you spent reading any of the documentation and tutorials. The PMDG documentation is the best available and rivals commercial products for real world systems. I'm not criticizing, just a bit amazed that you draw such a quick conclusion on a very complex and expensive add-on. In any case, have fun! :)Bob...

>I dont mean this as an insult, because people like different>things, but you might be better off sticking to the posky>model and simple panel, which is using the default 747 anywayum. hear hear!

Hey guys,I am not mocking anyone up, but, it is just incredible how people can get aroused around such posts. It's like you throw some corn onto ground and there are like already birds flying to eat them! Just hilarious to see this...But well, I also don't want to spoil the tradition, so here it goes!Honus,You are not impressed by it because you didn't even start using it!It DOES work lot and lot and lot and lot differently than any other Posky (=default) model. Posky is nothing else but a bit better model based on all defaults in FS9. That is though not what PMDG 747 is... it is not a model, its a complete simulation of a real life aircraft. Not a 100% one, but closest possible.Altitude and climb rate - as someone already said - AFDS. Those knobs on top of the main panel. RTFM!"I don't want to to use the FMC that came with it." - you don't really have to if you don't want to. You can solely fly using AFDS (set alt, set hdg), take off, press fl ch (fligtlevel change for your info) and of course activate AP. And off you are, without any FMC.Manually changing alt or speed? Well now, RTFM! Change alt and press fl ch (a/t arm has to be active)! Use SPD for selected speed, and activate Autothrottle! Also activate f/d for your own sake, its easier to fly with it, no matter what you are doing, it basically telling you where to bank or pitch, to achieve your chosen path in the AFDS (hdg+alt)."Haven't yet found the TO/GA button that they speak of." - Page 11 of "08 Autopilot Flight Director" Manual, right where it says "The TO/GA click spot is located on the screw, immediately next to the A/T ARM switch." Lazy lazy, sorry to say...Concerning blank display, corrupt installation and verification problem. Either you didn't install properly, or you have a cracked version (which is even worse than anything else!).PMDG Instructions are IMHO the best ever, I probably read almost everything there is, and I truly enjoy flying the 747. I think I never posted a systems question on these forums...Good luck? I almost only fly PMDG 747 and 747F...Sometimes I even feel bad that I don't fly other good addons like LDS or even some worse ones like PSS Airbus.You will have fun when you KNOW how to use this aircraft. It's not a game. It's a SIMULATION.PS. I wrote this solely because I was bored.

Yea I can tell. Some folks have too much free time and they use it passing judgement. Like it or not, this IS just a game, so please don't get the idea that you're a seasoned 747 pilot. I have since taken it for what it is and you should too. Unfortunately, we have still have the prima donnas who overestimate their own importance.

"this IS just a game" - you are gonna make lots of people angry with that statement here. Just as a friendly advice...ah yes, and about seasoned pilot - never thought about it that way, but rather see myself as a passionate simmer (on the pmdg level, not default aircraft level). unlike you.

"Like it or not, this IS just a game, so please don't get the idea that you're a seasoned 747 pilot. I have since taken it for what it is and you should too."Assuming you are not a forum troll...The sim can be treated however you want to treat it... with respect or otherwise. If you are a gamer, treat it as a game. If you are real world pilot/engineer, it can be treated as an effective training tool. "Unfortunately, we have still have the prima donnas who overestimate their own importance."I've met a few real world 744 pilots who overestimated their own importance, too...If you treat the guys who are trying to help you with a little more respect you might just get the help you need....and you may find the 744 is not as unfriendly as it seems. Boeing engineers put a lot of effort into simplifying this aircraft (just compare it to the earlier 747 series... or some Russian civil aircraft which have 6 operating crewmembers)Rgds.Q>