Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

pmdg and voice

Has anyone ever used a voice recognition program such as voice buddy with fs9.1 and a pmdg addondoes ti work . suggestions.Peter

Guest pellelil

Yes I have, and it work perfectly (no I don't get any kickbacks ). I've began using VoiceBuddy (VB) with PMDG's B737-700 and when I later got the B747-400 I changed my VB-setup accordingly (I more or less only flies the B747-400 so my VB-profile is aimed particular for this plane).First you have to realize that you don't want to keep your VB-Commands too short since there is a bigger chance then is don't hear you right (pick the wrong command) if you are simply using small/single word commands.Also a nice feature of VB is that its able to "read back" to you (at least using a robotic/computer generated voice), and beside "sending keypresses" I use this feature as my Virtual F/O. If I want a Flap 20 setting I simply says "Flaps 20" and I have setup my VB to send the appropriate keypresses to PMDG's B747-400, and my "Virtual F/O" (VB) responds back with "Flaps moving 20". Likewise I have a lot of VB-commands that are not sending keypresses at all, they only read back chatter to me. So I can simply say "Before Take-Off Checklist" and then have my "Virtual F/O" read me back my Checklist (these days I never tries to takeoff forgetting some important detail). Another nice feature is the fact that you can ask VB to "Shut up". If the "Virtual F/O" has just begun reading back a long checklist when ATC (RadarContact) has important messages I can shut him up, so I don't have to have the controller ask again (they are so picky, and get mad if they have to repeat, or you are not doing as your told to do ).http://jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal

Thanks for the reply,I set it up and at first I had to fiddle with the various speech engines. I find it really works well.It is interesting and a bit of a learning exp, but i think it is cool and i can see how it can be helpfulas always i have a few thoughts1 too bad the voice is sounds like an old fashioned computer l+h voice2 I wondered if there are any downloadable voice profiles3 it would be good if in the fully windowed mode you could see if fb is acutally onThanks .. regards peter>Yes I have, and it work perfectly (no I don't get any>kickbacks ). I've began using VoiceBuddy (VB) with PMDG's>B737-700 and when I later got the B747-400 I changed my>VB-setup accordingly (I more or less only flies the B747-400>so my VB-profile is aimed particular for this plane).>>First you have to realize that you don't want to keep your>VB-Commands too short since there is a bigger chance then is>don't hear you right (pick the wrong command) if you are>simply using small/single word commands.>>Also a nice feature of VB is that its able to "read back" to>you (at least using a robotic/computer generated voice), and>beside "sending keypresses" I use this feature as my Virtual>F/O. If I want a Flap 20 setting I simply says "Flaps 20" and>I have setup my VB to send the appropriate keypresses to>PMDG's B747-400, and my "Virtual F/O" (VB) responds back with>"Flaps moving 20". Likewise I have a lot of VB-commands that>are not sending keypresses at all, they only read back chatter>to me. So I can simply say "Before Take-Off Checklist" and>then have my "Virtual F/O" read me back my Checklist (these>days I never tries to takeoff forgetting some important>detail). >>Another nice feature is the fact that you can ask VB to "Shut>up". If the "Virtual F/O" has just begun reading back a long>checklist when ATC (RadarContact) has important messages I can>shut him up, so I don't have to have the controller ask again>(they are so picky, and get mad if they have to repeat, or you>are not doing as your told to do ).>>http://jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpg>Pelle F. S. Liljendal

Guest pellelil

No doubt a natural sounding voice would be better than the current very robotic sounding one, however as long as its only for a few replies you are getting used to (at least I have). It just it was able to playback pre-recorded Wav-files that small problem would be solved ).Most of my Checklists for VB were old leftovers from when I originally made them for B737, and correcting these for B744 had been an item on my ToDo-list for a long time. Replying your note, made me realize now was a good time, so I have just updated them to be for the B747-400 (a mix of the PMDG B744 Checklist, and checklists I have found on the net - hopefully I won't miss any important steps ).I'm affraid I was a bit slow upgrading my PMDG B744, so I didn't buy the B744F until last week, and I have just been been setting up VB to new keyboard commands (cargo doors/loaders). It took a lot of tweaking, however now I can simply (while on ground) switch to outside view, lean back and say "Cargo Full Open", now before my eyes I see the various doors open and loaders appear. When I am getting near the Pushback time its simply a matter of saying "Cargo Full Close" and all the loaders will disappear (one by one) and the various doors will once again close (nice to have some "animation" on the DRS page of the EICAS - it helps "getting in the mood"). As I said it took A LOT of tweaking to get the timeing right (the loaders can't appear before the doors are fully opened).http://jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal