Sign in to follow this  
aikichris

737 600/700 NG v1.3B cold and dark starts

Hello all.I am new to this forum - hoping I can get some help here.......I have just purchased the 1.3B boxed version of the 737 NG 600/700 series.I am having trouble with the cold and dark starts. I run the cockpit preparations as in the introductory flight in the manual, and everything seems to go well up to the engine start.As instructed I go to start the right engine first, turn the ignition start to IGN right,turn the right ignition knob to GRD - and......nothing! The start valve open light on the main panel does NOT show. I also get on the overhead the low pressure light warning above the ENG 2 Hydraulic pump B switch. I can start the left engine no problems every time.Am I missing something here?Any advice would be greatly appreciated.When I start the 737 on a normal flight,both engines are up and running fine anyway, and there are no problems. Hope someone can help me sort this out - thanks!

Guest dt1951

Are your packs in the OFF position before you begin the start sequence?

Also, the APU needs to be selected (the bottom middle sw on the airpack panel). That's where the air comes from to spin the engines.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes, it seems you are not getting bleed air to start the engines turning.For the whole start procedure I recommend you using a checklist better than the tutorial, here is a very good one at AVSIM:<< pmdg737checklist.zip >>It's by Michael SwannickAnd you don't need to turn the ignitors to right for the right engine or left for the left engine. Both engines have right and left ignitors and you can choose left, right or both. Something similar to the magnetos in a piston engine (left, right or both).Jose Luis.

Thanks for all your help!!I have now got the engines up and running.Seems that the left and right engine bleed switches by default are switched on for the cold and dark start!?So I turned them off before doing anything, followed the rest of the procedure, and BINGO!Do you think this has been the cause?Thanks again - i'm sure I will be back with more questions!

Ms/Mr Nameless,Welcome to the forum. Please sign your posts with your name as per the forum rules.The cause of your problem with the right engine was without a doubt the isolation valve. If you have ENG bleed valves open (ON) and PACKS valves open (ON) the ISOL valve (in AUTO) will automatically CLOSE (thus separating the left and right side for redundacy). The ISOL valve needs to be open for APU bleed air flow to the right ENG. Closing any bleed valve or packs valve will automatically open the ISOL valve.Hope it helps,

Yes that helps very much thanks you!At the risk of sounding stupid what are 'packs'?Are they the switches to the slighty upper left and right of the iso valve close/auto/open which are marked off/auto /high?I'm a bit new to all this!I suspect the manual is a bit misleading.Once the APU is on and APU bleed is turned on it then says to 'switch 3 ISO valves to Auto'Can I presume that I can either set the left and right to auto, but the middle one to open, OR set all three to auto but make sure the 1/2 bleeds are off?The default when selecting cold and dark is 1/2 bleeds on - although once engines have been started the manual tells you to 'turn the APU bleed off and both switches next to it (bleed 1/2) on.Phew!Sorry about the lack of signature - didn't realise it hadn't been set up.It should be now - if not plz let me know!Thanks again.

Taken from Timothy Metzinger 737 tutorial:What