Sign in to follow this  
Guest Celt

Processor Affinity

Guest Celt

I'm getting a new dual-core system, and I wanted to know whether it is possible to have FS2004 on one core, and PMDG on another, as I understand the SMDG models are a simulation within a simulation. If I set the processor Affinity on FS2004 to 1, does the PMDG models always load on the same affinity as FS2004, or does it always default to affinity 0 or is there a way I can set the affinity for the PMDG models directly also.Thanks for handling a teccie rather than a pilot based question.

Chris,you can't separate PMDG from the main FS2004 process. And since FS2004 can't take advantage of more than one core you'll have to wait for Vista and FSX to use the full potential of your dual core system. All you can do is run the other tools running behind FS2004 (AS6 etc.) via the other core, but I guess that you knew already.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

And how do I reroute those additional tools to the other core? Does the system work this out automatically? Or do I have to manually assign the program to the second core?-- edit --Problem solved. Found the option in the task manager. Now I would only need a tool that automatically assigns all other programs to the second core leaving FS as the only process running on the first core.

Robert - Run the app (AS6 or whatever it is) then hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the task manager. Go to the processes tab and look for the program's exe. (for AS it's ASv6.exe for example) Right click the exe's name and hit "Set Affinity" - you'll see a screen with checkmarks for CPU1 and CPU2 - make sure FS is on one and your other apps on the other - that's it!There's programs out there that will automatically switch the affinity when the program runs (which I don't know the names of offhand) but otherwise you'll have to set it manually each time...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest D17S

Make sure you get Intel's new "Core 2 Duo." They are named Conroe for the desktop and Merom for the laptop. Intel's old CPUs are the 32 bit "Core Duo" or the old "D" models. These new CPUs are dual core, 64 bit CPUs like the AMDs FX62, etc. However clock for clock, the new Intels are much stronger than any AMD running at the same "RPM". They also overclock like crazy. 2.6 ghz Core 2s are going to 4.0 . . on air. At 4.0 ghz, the Core 2 is a MASSIVE CPU. We've never seen anything like this in consumer PC stuff. Another great benefit is that these new CPUs have brought entire CPU cost structure down. AMD is cutting prices like there's no tomorrow. They were released only last weeks and are just now starting to show up in the Dells, Gateways, etc. So far, I've only seen the desktop version available.I'm really looking forward the first reports about how much a diffecence these new CPUs will make. I think these new might help quite a bit.

G'Day guysYeah the Core 2 Duo seems like the next step. Im in the process of trying to find a new computer. Rather confused on what to get. If I got a Core 2 Duo system its good to know that you can assign that to 1 CPU and everything else to the other.Would a 2x 1.8Ghz be good enough? Or should I go higher?

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer