Sign in to follow this  

Can one save the Real Weather Download data to use as a

Hi all,Is there a way to save the data that is downloaded while in the Weather Window after one has downloaded weather data? Reason for asking, is I would like to have some realistic weather start up each time I start the sim. It appears that whatever real weather is downloaded, is no longer available once one exits and restarts fs2k2.I had unchecked the clear cache box in the Scenery window thinking that this may store the stuff in whatever cache file (never see a cache file generated under the subdir cache.........) which is another question I have.If one does not clear cache upon exiting the sim, shouldn't one see a cache file show up under the fs2k2 cache directory?thanks in advance for any help on these two questions.grb (George :(

Hi, When you have finished the Real Weather download, save your flight *.FLT, this will save your flight situation with the global weather *.WX as well, so you will only have just to make your default flight and each time you will start fs2002, you will have your latest Real Weather download from your previous saved flight.Ps: Each time you save a flight *.flt , you will have the real weather *.wx files thats you have downloaded or manually set in your weather option.Fs Sky World is good for this Situation.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Thanks Chris,For the advice. Apparently one cannot save more then one real weather download. This is one of the very few things I miss about Xplane. There one could download Metar Weather into seperate files, so that one could simply change what file the sim should use. The obvious is that one could build up a collection of different type weather patterns for use in future flights.At any rate thanks for the help.cheers,George B

Hi, You can save unlimited weather *.wx download files in fs2k2, juste change the name of your flight, you will have many situation and the real weather files as well.Also there is a free real weather GetWeather, Utility, it's linked to jeppensen server, that your can download the real weather.You can set the interval time download also.All weather files saved in your fs2k2/flight and you can save it for future use.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi George,Try the GetWeather. It stays between FS2002 and metar data souce internet site as a proxy. It's free and does exactly what you want - whenevever new metar data is downloaded you can save it for future use. I have tried it and it's ok.http://www.bearsoft.de/indexUS.htmlHope this helps.Gig

Thanks Chris and Gigabyte,For your additional help.Please don't take it as a negative, Chris, but I can see where MS in this case did not think ahead (what's new....). I for one would not want to save dozens of flights for different type aircraft and starting airports which contain particular weather patterns. It is a shame they did not consider what I mentioned about XPlane's method.But that is the way the cookie crumbles.As you both indicated the solution is to download the GetWeather package to be able to store and call up a particular set of weather conditions independent of "saved flights" etc..Any suggestions as to where I may find this package?Lastly, Chris I took a very cursorary view at your FS Weather site.I may after further examination download the package and associated cloud packages, if it appear to be straight forward and not involve a lot of time to set up.At any rate, thank you both for helping me out with my questions.cheers,George B. (grb)

Guest RonB49

George, here is what I do. If I were to download FS2002 Jeppesen weather right now, I would immediately save the flight as 07251610. The format I use is download time expressed as month, day, hour, and minute. As Chris said, I am then left with files named 07251610.flt and 07251610.wx. I delete the flt file and associate (via the copy utility) the wx file with any future flight(s) that I wish. Isn't that what you were doing with X-Plane? R-

RobB49,Yes to the first portion of your statement. That is I would download the weather to a coded file, much as you described (m/d/y/t). But in that case that was all one had to do. Then while in Xplane sim, one simply picked the appropriate file to use. But as you can see, in your case one must delete the flight file and then copy the weather file (.wx) renaming it to match a given flight file. In short not very clean........ please do not get offended, thanks for your help.But it appears that the solution is to download the Get Weather package which I did a few minutes ago. Where as Gigabyte indicated, one then can download and store Jeppson weather as needed then save that particular weather pattern file for use by any flight without any in between file manipulations etc..Thanks all three for your help. I am sure after downloading and installing the two packages (and of course the add on cloud packages etc.) that I will be satisfied with the results.best regards,George B.Appears there is no need for more input by others at this point. The solutions have been suggested in the two referenced packages.

You are very welcome George and I am glad that we could help you.Best Regards,Gig