Sign in to follow this  
Guest keiron

PMDG 744 Steering tiller

Guest keiron

I've looked through the manuals and the search faciltity in the forum but i cant seem to find a straight answer on how to operate the steering tiller on the PMDG 744 series. Is there one for the PMDG 737NG series as well?Please can somebody point me in the right direction?

Guest gremel

The 737NG's tiller is located elbow high to the left of the yoke on the side panel of the aircraft. It lookes like the letter 'D' and you grab it (twist it) with your left hand and move it forward or backwards to engage it. It is quite sensitve and if your not careful, it can cause a jerkiness in the steering of the nosewheel that can be felt by everyone aboard. In other words, do not attempt to move it too rapidly in either direction to avoid this condition. It is critical to watch your speed when using this steering mechanism.Hope this helps.jack

If you have a registered version of FSUIPC, you can assign it to the steering tiller.

Guest keiron

Thanks lads for your help, i have now got a steering tiller, i used the FSUIPC :D

Guest diskus

This brings up an interesting topic,Just how does a 747-400 pilot balance the use of the rudder and tiller in ground steering? which is more effective and or practical?Mike

Guest shaheedan

Hi,"Thanks lads for your help, i have now got a steering tiller, i used the FSUIPC "- can you explain in detailed on how you program your FSUIPC ?RegardsShaheedan

"Just how does a 747-400 pilot balance the use of the rudder and tiller in ground steering? which is more effective and or practical?"The tiller almost completely overrides the rudder pedals (by design) for nosewheel steering. When the flight crew are carrying out their control checks prior to takeoff, they don't want the aircraft veering off the taxiway when they test the rudder (using the rudder pedals). To avoid this, they hang on tightly to the tiller, to prevent it moving. This ensures that the nose wheel doesn't move using the rudder pedals, but the rudder does move.Nosewheel rudder pedal steering can only move the nosewheel a few degrees. The tiller is used for larger turns. You shouldn't be using the tiller to steer after you have aligned the aircraft with the runway centerline, ready for takeoff (at least not under normal circumstances).Hope this helps.CheersQ>

Guest raymondt

>Just how does a 747-400 pilot balance the use of the rudder>and tiller in ground steering? which is more effective and or>practical?For the 737 the rudder can move the steeringwheel for 7 degrees, and the tiller for 78 degrees. I don't know if there degree-values are the same with the queen, but it will not differ that much i guess... Kind regards,Raymond

Guest Matze2912

Could you explain how you used FSUIPC to assign a button to the steering tiller? that sounds very interesting... I never heard of that feature before...Thanks!Matthias

>Could you explain how you used FSUIPC to assign a button to>the steering tiller? that sounds very interesting... I never>heard of that feature before...>>Thanks!>MatthiasHi Matthias,There is a topic about this :http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...topic_id=113833As far as i understand you need a registered copy of FSUIPC.I have not yet tried this out.If it works for you let us know!