Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Strobe lights on 747-400 & Freighter

Hi allWhen I am at an airport such as Sydney International (YSSY) and see the big 747's arriving or departing (love the QF's), I've always noticed that their strobe lights flash at regular intervals - eg flash, wait, flash, wait. But watching the PMDG 747-400 & Freighter, the strobes flash at irregular intervals - eg flash, wait, wait, flash, flash, wait, wait, wait...Is there a patch or manual way to fix this ourselves? I don't see this problem with the PMDG 737 series or other PMDG products, so I don't understand why the 747 does it.Hoping someone may be of assistance with this enquiry and any help would be much appreciated.Kind regards,Matthew

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

This is due to FS limitations. I think there is no way to customize the strobe light sequence for a single plane. And anyway, who cares about the strobe flashing sequence? The plane has MUUUUCH more to offer to you than just strobe lights ;)

Hi PaulI couldn't agree more with you on what the plane has to offer us simmers. I don't consider myself "hard-core". I consider myself someone who has a keen eye for details, that's all. I think it's fantastic and I can't wait to see what it looks like in FSX. Hey, I just had a thought! I know - first time for everything, lol. There is a new version of the Boeing 747 in the works at the Boeing company and it will be called the Boeing 747-8. I wonder if PMDG could develop this for FSX? If you want to find out more about this new aircraft but don't know where to find any information, try the following link:http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747family...background.htmlSome facts regarding the 747-8 (as per Boeing website)...Seating:450 passengers in a three-class configuration Range:8,000 nautical miles (14,815 km ) - Intercontinental4,475 nautical miles (8,275 km) - Freighter Configuration:Twin aisle Wing span:224 ft 7 in (68.5 m) Length:243 ft 6 in (74.2 m) - Intercontinental250 ft 2 in (76.3 m) - Freighter Height:63 ft 6 in (19.4 m) Thrust:66,500 pounds (GEnx-2B67) Cruise speed:Mach 0.85 Maximum Takeoff Weight:960,000 pounds (435,456 kg) Program milestones:Launch - November 2005 Final configuration - fourth-quarter 2006 Rollout - third-quarter 2008. First flight - fourth-quarter 2008 Certification and entry into service - September 2009Might be something worth looking into at PMDG, hmmm?Thanks,Matthew

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

Well if you are someone who pays 60$ for eyecandy then you are either not very smart or you have quite a lot of money. Don´t get me wrong, I dont wanna be offensive to you or anyone else but if you are only looking for a good model and stuff like that you can visit www.projectopensky.com and get there a really nice FREEWARE model for the 744 and many other planes. This thing here is a complex simulation of a real 747-400 with (most of) all its systems reproduced true to real as far as it is possible within FS. Thus, the PMDG744 has a lot to offer for someone (me for instance) who wants to know what a real 744 is like. I spend a lot of time with the queen and I am still very impressed by the depth of detail and the developers effords put into it and therefore I personally think that it would be a waste of all these effords if someone just buys the plane and does not even try to explore its detail like some people (I am not referring to you in this case as I can´t figure out in your post whether you belong to those people or not) do.As stated before, the PMDG 744 has lots to offer to you so just try to get into it. And if you don´t like it, well the model itself is quite good too isn´t it?Btw the 747-800 is not likely to be reproduced in detail for the FS in the next years since the real plane didnt even have its maiden flight yet.

Hi PaulSorry, I think you misunderstood my previous post. It's not the eyecandy that I pay for. I pay for the aircraft because of the systems that PMDG has reproduced in it such as the FMC and I enjoy being able to do things like changing fuel flow settings, dumping fuel, simulating emergencies, etc. I think it's a marvellous plane that could only be beaten by the real thing. I have been in a 747-400 simulator and spent 3 hours there with a Qantas instructor in Sydney and I can't tell the difference between FS9 and the real simulator except at not having all those buttons and switches to play with.The only reason that I bought up the strobes was because the 737's from PMDG didn't do it and I was wondering if I'd installed my 747 incorrectly somehow.Thanks, and keep up the excellent work PMDG!Kind regards,Matthew

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

Well then I truly missunderstood you, my apologies

It's fine, Paul. No apology necessary. Actually, while I was at work today, I was thinking (first time for everything, lol). PMDG recently announced they are developing an Airbus "family". I was thinking about the 737 series. I reckon a 737-300/400/500 would be fantastic if done by PMDG to the same level as the 747-400 and Freighter. Just a thought - I know the Airbus is being done now.Thanks,Matthew