Sign in to follow this  
Arnaud

Inserting a waypoint in the FMC from a given RWY?

Hi,Although I've been looking for this both in the 747 courses by RSR and into the manual, I cant figure out how to set a waypoint into the FMC from a given runway.For instance, setting a point like few nautical miles ahead the runway, on the axis of that runway, when there isnt any navaids nor known waypoint which could help. Something like RWYXX/00 ?I know in approach mode when selecting a visual approach the FMC will put a fix like that at the desired distance, but what about for take-off mode?I read in the manual it's possible, yet it doesnt give the syntax for that.Thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot Jim, that is the information I was looking for. I assume from your reply that it is not possible then to insert a runway extension waypoint on the path of a runway in case there is no ILS?Again thank you.

Honestly not sure on this, I'll try to ask the pilots on the team... It seems like it'd be a problem though - how would the FMC know which runway at which airport you meant when you typed something in?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Ryan,Of course I meant that the FMC was previously correctly set, like the ROUTE page(origin and destination filed), and a known RWY selected from the DEP/ARR page.From there, as the runway coordinates are known, as well as its bearing and length (as drawn on the ND), I think the FMC has the ability to compute a fix ahead of that runway.But maybe I was unclear, the situation is the following: I'd need to insert this fix just before take-off, a fix on the path of the runway from which I plan to take-off. Basically for those airports for which I dont have any SIDs available in the FMC.

You can't just construct what you need using the FIX page? Can you give me the exact situation, I can't believe a procedure would require you to do something not based on a NAVAID and rather on a runway...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

I´ve got another suggestion wich may be a little complicated but will work almost for sure.If you have got charts for the airport you are departing from, you could figure out the lat/long of that point on the runway extension line you wanna have. Than you can just create a custom fix via the legs page using this lat/long.

Ryan is correct. I've seen many DPs (LAX for example) that have an altitude or heading constraint either a specified distance from the VOR at the airport or crossing a radial from an adjacent VOR. My sidstars are developed have these incorporated into the procedures even if the constraint is followed by vectors. A specified distance from a runway would be difficult to determine in the cockpit, unless you were using a visual fix on the ground.Of course, you can still use your pilot skills. For example, most LAX 24/25 departures have an at or below 3000 feet departing westward until crossing SMOr160 (or similar) to keep the climb out of the VFR corridor that crosses over LAX. Choices include using MCP to fly the 250 heading with 3000 in the alt window until passing the radial (that you already have set and displayed), or you can handfly the old fashion way; or third, using a procedure with the constraints added.

Dan Downs KCRP