Sign in to follow this  
CPTAB

Setting Up The NAV RADIO For A I.L.S Landing

Guy's for the life of me I can't seem to set the nav radio's up for a I.L.S landing with the 747's. Ive read the manual and it just does not give me the info I need. I have no problem with the 737's there very easy but the 747's I just can't get the hang of it. just settin the radio's to the right frq is a problem I'm not sure if I'm setting the right one's, is there a forum that deal's with setting up the nav radio's for a I.L.S landing or a web site in can go to Thank's MuchAlvin

<>Actually, it does.Unlike the 737, the 747 automatically sets the ILS frequencies based on the arrival information programmed in the FMC.A good place to start would be the FMC users manual page 54.

Bob If I setup a landing runway on the FMC at the departure airportan change the runway before arrival would I have to change the NAVradio also or make the change in the FMC Thank's for the info back to the book'sAlvin

Hi Alvin!Just change to your new landing rwy in FMC....after some sec it will show your new ILS freq in the NAV/RAD in FMC. Be aware that you also now maybe wanna change your route to this new approach. I.e change and delete your waypoints in LEGS so it will cross your new vector. for that approach. The Localizer will take care off your final turnfor landing and catching the GS.This is usually my easy way to handle it if one rwy approach is closed and I have to change it to another./ Leffe

If you don't want to spend too much time "heads down" programming the FMC, just make a manual entry of ILS frequency AND course on the NAV RAD page. See previous recent forum messages on this topic.Regards.Q>

The easiest way is just to go to the ARR/DEP page in the FMC and select the instrument approach you want. This will automatically select the ILS freq for you if that is the approah you have selected. If it doesn't autotune the ILS then manually enter it on the NAVRAD page ie. 109.9/231. With FS9 ATC STARS are really a waste of time as you are going to get vectored . Just select which approach you want and bring the first point inbd on the approach course to the top of the legs page. Then enter an INTERCEPT/CRSE to in the lower right hand area of the screen. If the inbd course is say 053 then type 053 and enter it here. Then line select it to the top of the legs page against that first point inbd on the approach and then EXECute. When you look on the NAV display you will see the point on the approach and a magenta coloured line extending out from that point (an extended centreline). VNAV will give you descent guidance as if you are going direct to that approach point from wherever you are. Use LOC and APP as normal.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Guest snyperAL

This helped me also, thank you