Sign in to follow this  
Guest kjolsnes

FMC -Define "Fly over" or "Fly by" waypoint?

Guest kjolsnes

Gents,In EFIS98 FMC it is possible to define if a waypoint is a "fly by" or or "fly over" waypoint. Is this possible while in flight to define on the PMDG747-FMC?I know its possible to define it in the STAR text file. But I want to do it in flight if needed.I dont know if this is possible in real life, just know it is possible in EFIS98(maybe that is based on the Airbus system).Reason for this is that sometimes I think the shortcuts are a bit too big....Thanks Kjetil

Kjetil,the reason why EFIS98 can do that is indeed that it is based on the Airbus FMGS, which also in real life allows for defining overfly waypoints via the MCDU.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

If you want a waypoint to be fly over that is not coded as such in the FMC then force a route disconuity after that waypoint. The A/C will then overfly the waypoint and then maintain last heading. You will then have to line select the next waypoint up to the top. It does have its limitations.Quite often a route discontinuity is left in for departures so that the aircraft will fly over a point and not turn before.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Thanks for the info Steve. I've always wanted a way to do that on departure, but never knew how. I'll put it to good use that's for sure. That being said, it leads to a question.How would I force a discontinuity? I'm sure it's obvious, and I'm sure I've done it before, but my brain isn't thinking clearly at the moment. Say if a departure was already in the FMC, and I selected it. Is there a way to force the discontinuity, for each waypoint, so I can make sure to overfly them?Thanks in advance. It's always good to learn new things.

Guest Hawkeyeted

>How would I force a discontinuity? I'm sure it's obvious, and>I'm sure I've done it before, but my brain isn't thinking>clearly at the moment. Press the DEL key ("DEL" will appear in the scratchpad), then press the corresponding waypoint softkey that you want after the disco (i.e. the waypoints will shift down). That should insert a disco between waypoints.

Guest kjolsnes

Thanks.RegardsKjetil