Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

Global vs Local WX Questions

Perhaps someone can assist me.Can I change the wx for a REGION using global or local wx features? I looked in the documentaion and did not see a very clear description of how to use the global/local wx features.The global seems to keep the wx the same everywhre from departure, along the entire route and into my destination... no matter how far away. I cant get local wx feature to work at all except to establish the departure airport weather. How do I make my wx change from my departure point as I fly along my route? For example, Go from VFR to broken to OVC to hard IFR as I fly my route.One last question... In my wx menu, when safter selecting 'local weather' I get a map of the area I am flying. When I click on an airport it identifies the wx reporting station for that airport. What is the significance?? If I change the wx at that airport, does all airports served by that wx reporting station have their wx changed? Can I expand this to include sevral wx reporting stations for larger coverage??Thanks.mark

As far as I understand it, local weather is the area near (25 nm I think) to the airport your at. and Global is the rest of the world, however it only relates to user created weather. Downloaded weather uses the Local weather thing, so as you move through different areas the Loacal weather changes according to the nearest reprting station. Some are good and some are not at all.With regard to you question about "If I change the wx at that airport, does all airports served by that wx reporting station have their wx changed? Can I expand this to include sevral wx reporting stations for larger coverage??"as far as I know . the answer is no.. only with downloaded weather will it do this.hope this helps a bit:-)Pete

Guest RonB49

As I recall from FS2000, if you are directly over a reporting station then you get exactly that station's reported weather. As you fly between stations, then the weather that you see is a composite of the three stations nearest to you. If you fly nearer one and farther from the other two, then the neearer one has more and more influence. So to change weather along a route, you'd need to set the weather at all of the staions near to your intended flight path; a real pain. This information was in a FS2000 SDK, perhaps the one for Adventure Programming. Saddly, FS2002 seems to work the same way. R-