Sign in to follow this  
Arnaud

micro stutter upon touch-down

Hi,Although it is not a PMDG related issue, thought I might ask for some advise or suggestions here about an annoying issue I've started to have recently.Right upon touch-down, the sim suffer a micro-stutter, not even half a second. Happens only at touch down, nothing to do with others well known 'stutters'.I first thought it was related to the PMDG heavies, but it's NOT.Had the idea to test with the default Cessna, and I also get this micro stutter.I recently suffered a PC power supply crash, fortunately it did not damage anything else on the computer(yeah I 've been lucky). I changed it with another more powerful one, and I feel that it is since that power supply collapse that the touch-down micro stutter began to occur. Before I even plan a whole system reinstall (and the numerous hours reinstalling FS stuff it implies), I thought I'd first ask if anyone here already met that.Thanks in advance,Regards,

Guest Hawkeyeted

Mine does too and I often attributed it to FS9 doing a quick "checksum" to see if the contact with the ground would/did cause a crash. Other things to come to mind are FS9 stopping "flight" calculations (lift and flight dynamic stuff) and starting "ground" calculations (runway friction, etc.).

Thank you ted,I'm sorry to hear that you experience this as well ;-) However, I noticed it since recently basically because it did not happen before. Which makes me think something got scewed up in my setup. And since this stutter gives me the very unpleasant feeling that I am being violently projected into the windscreen each time I land, I wished I could fix this!Regards,

Arnaud,I have that exact same problem, and I've also been unable to locate the root-cause.Some say it's the slow HDD access when it's accessing the touchdown sound. Some say it's because of soundcard (SB PCI) not being good enough for proper DirectX sound acceleration etc. etc. I've tried it all, but the problem persists.I'm guessing it's the HDD, because it's a slow, old HDD which has become almost full and then suffers from slow seek-time and thus during the touchdown when plenty of other things are happening inside FS, the stutter takes place.I should upgrade the HDD and see if it made a difference.Tero

PPL(A)

Tero,Yes, I fully agree with your idea of the getting full and old HDD. Mine is almost in that situation too, and I thought of it of course.There is a small test which I want do however, because this morning I sadly realised that finally the default Cessna doesnt cause stutters.It's only the 744s :-hmmm and I hate this idea...The touchdown sound files for the default Cessna are only 16kb large, and there are many of them used all at once (which is potentially a slowdown reason in FS), but the 744 touchdown sound file is about 464kb large and it is unique (which should be easier on the HDD access than the defaul Cessna sound.cfg).So now i'd tend to think of a sound card related issue(drivers or whatsoever), or an issue with the 744 touchdown sound file.I am also going to do some testings with the reverses sound.Regards,

Well, the test is negative.I simply temporalily replaced the 744 touchdown sound file by a blank .wav file I found in the PMDG sound folder, just for test purpose: it didnt help.The good thing is I am lucky, I get two stutters, one for touch down, and a second one when reverses are applied :D Oh well, I guess all I need now is to reinstall the complete system or buy a new HDD now.Thanks to all for your kind feedback.Regards,

For me the first one is not always present, but the second always is there.Regards.Miquel Egea.

Weird,Sounds like when the sounds are in the cache the stutters wont occur any more. I've just been flying not very seriously with the 744 on a closed field somewhere in Europe.I proceeded to several landings, six of them.First one, the touch down stutter occurs, then the reverse stutter occurs as well.Second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth landing without any kind of stutter. Perfectly smooth.The conclusion is that if those sounds were put into the cache right from the lauch of the Sim, then maybe we wouldnt experience this at all.

Hi,For me the situation is similar. Only on first landing I get the stutter. Tero

PPL(A)

To sum it up, and given that I am not the only one, maybe then we can assume that this is being worked out by the PMDG developpers on the upcoming 744 (sounds)update.I think, although I am not 100% sure, I think these stutters started after I bought and installed the 744F, which did include a tremendousrework of the original 744pax released sounds set, and that possibily those small issues were left in it by then.If that is the case, I am very confident that il will be adressed soon. :-) Best,

To clarify: I don't know if this happens also with PMDG 744 (although I do own it). For me the problem is generic.Tero

PPL(A)

Yes Miguel, in fact I think this is actually what's happening. Otherwise, I'm sure I would have noticed those sttuters since long ago. Because it is really annoying.Again, as I said, some kind guys from PMDG already stated more than once that they were working on an update for the sounds. All we have to wish now is that this particular issue has been taken into account beside other issues noted. I have no doubt it is the case.Regards,

Guest tomahawk_pa38

I'm sure I read somewhere that the stutter is partly caused by the extra load on the system caused by the puff of smoke and the tyre squeal when you touch down.