Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boeing747-430

PW and GE cockpit differences

Guest Boeing747-430

Does anyone know what are the differences between and PW 744 and GE 744, apart from the engine indications. i went on airliners.net to try to find them in pictures. i found that in the RR engined planes there are 2 fire bottles per engine, not per wing like on the GE and PW. and the only thing i can see with the PW was that there is no autostart button on NWA 744s, i dont know if thats just a northwest thing or a PW thing. any help would be appreciatedAdam

Probably lots of differences, but the ones which spring to mind are...PW have hydraulically-powered reversers. Because of the extra drain on the hydraulic system, you'll probaby find that the aircraft has 4 Air-Driven Hydraulic Demand Pumps (instead of 2 air-driven and 2 lower powered electric pumps).Autostart has been fitted on the later P&W-powered 744's. There are 4 individual Autostart switches, instead of one.Any help?Cheers.Q>P.S. Also... The airlines that run P&W engines seem to prefer the inverted V Flight Director instead of the crosshairs (don't know why).

Guest Boeing747-430

thanks alot for the response qavionadam

Courtesy of airliners.net....NWAhttp://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0469211Air Chinahttp://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0846220However, Singapore Airlines has crosshairs (but they have a mix of GE and P&W on their aircraft)UAL as you say, has crosshairs. I recall that Korean Airlines also has crosshairs.Can anyone else think of any other 744 airlines with P&W4000's?Cheers.Q>

Guest Andrew1981

>However, Singapore Airlines has crosshairs (but they have a>mix of GE and P&W on their aircraft)Nope Singapore Have only P&W in their 744's :)

the cockpit differences you see are probably all specific requests by the ordering companies. it has nothing to do with what engines are on the plane and all to do with the customization the airlines want

oops :((Must have been thinking of another airline. Did/does Malaysian Airlines have a mix of engines?Cheers.Q>