Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Landed safely at 775 K lbs !

After departing Tel-Aviv in the 744 at 802K lbs for KJFK, I had to declare an emergency at FL260, on approaching the coast of Cyprus and diverted quickly for a landing at LCLK (Larnaca), Cyprus. I descended at around IAS 320 with full spoilers all the way down, averaging -4000 to -5000 fpm, overflying the field at about 10000 feet, descending further with spoilers out to 7000 feet MSL at IAS 240 and then extended flaps, did a circling approach descending on FLCH to 3000 MSL, and then performed an ILS autoland approach from 3000' MSL at 774K lbs, intercepting the Loc and then the GS perfectly, with an FMC Vref30 of 172 (!!) --to which I mistakenly added 10 knots of padding instead of 5, triggering a FLAP RELIEF message on the EICAS when I achieved flaps 30 -- and landed safely in a stiff 15 knot crosswind, albeit long (0.6 nm down the 8600 foot runway), and braked to a safe speed in 0.6 nm, easily before reaching the end of the runway.Was this just sim fantasy or would such a descent, approach and landing ever be possible in real life ?Jonathan

The aircraft would need considerable structural inspection afterwards, plus you might blow a tyre or too on the landing and deceleration.Not to say it wouldn't be possible in the real world, but I'll leave that to someone in the know.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest blueskies

The valves can handle the descent rate. what i know about it is that the 744 can still descend 6000fpm. I had my jumpseat on a 744 and we descend at 4500fpm with idle thrust all the way down to 15000Ft.Raj

Not sure the runway could stand the impact though :(

Alaister Kay

Overweight landings may require flaps 25, for a number of reasons (you discovered one... flap relief).Post-landing inspections are based on the g-forces on touchdown (measured by an accelerometer in the right Wing Gear wheel well)Didn't dump any fuel?Cheers.Q>

No time to dump anything.FLAP RELIEF restricted my IAS to 178 which actually would have worked since I was +5 knots too many with my miscalculation and I should have set speed of IAS 177. I was impressed with this modelling, wow!I'll remember flaps 25 for next time...Jonathan

Guest matt11

Just out of interest what did you brakes think of that landing. Did you check out the brake temprature Eicas display afterwards?matt

>>No time to dump anything.>>FLAP RELIEF restricted my IAS to 178 which actually would have>worked since I was +5 knots too many with my miscalculation>and I should have set speed of IAS 177. I was impressed with>this modelling, wow!>>I'll remember flaps 25 for next time...>>JonathanWhat was the failure or emergency that didn't allow time to dump fuel?Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpg

Forgot to check brakes. Will do so next time. Landed without autobrakes--I often forget to set them because I generally forget to open the relevant panel. I must check myself on this procedure better.Jonathan

My hands were too full with semi automated flight and navigation on the way down to dump fuel. I also didn't want to risk starting a procedure I was unsure of and then might have to suffer really nasty consequences!Jonathan

The vertical speed on touchdown was -150 fpm which I thought was amazingly good considering the circumstances. Maybe the runway would survive that ?Jonathan

Sorry, just re-read the post. The emergency was a heart attack on board. I'd once been on a BA 744 with such an event and we had to put down at Shannon en route to EGLL from KJFK. It was a hairy approach into Shannon (ghastly crosswinds!) and the plane barely fit anywhere after landing.Jonathan