Sign in to follow this  
Guest NIC0

Calculate cruise level? (737NG)

Guest NIC0

Hello!I usually fly short flights (100-300 nm) with my PMDG 737NG. And short flights needs low cruise levels. But for now, I'm only guessing my cruise level, so it's quite random. And also sometimes I use too low levels, so I'm at cruise for like 15 minutes, instead of cruising at a higher level.But is there a way to calculate my cruise level? I know I can look at the PERF INIT page, but it's sending me to way too high altitudes. I also need to know before I start Flight Simulator which level I'm going to cruise at since I'm using Radar Contact.-J

After you preflight the FMC, the CRZ page will offer a optimum and maximum altitude for the flight. Choose the optimum altitude. Be sure you insert any speed or altitude constraints on the Legs page so the FMC can take these under consideration when computing a CRZ altitude. In the real world, ATC may assign a CRZ altitude considerably lower than optimum because of other traffic considerations.Good luck,Floyd

The FMC doesn't seem to take into consideration the length of flight when providing cruise levels. For example, short hops like KLAX-KLAS or KCRP-KHOU the FMC will still be recommending high 30's or even FL400. My work around is to fly the same altitudes as are reported by flightaware.com where all filed plans for specified departure & destination are available. I notice that type equipment (733 vs 737) makes a difference as well as ATC constraints. For example, flying a relatively long shorthop from KMDW to KBWI is at FL290 even when in this case the leg is long enough for a climb much higher. I think the reason for this is due to the volume of longhaul traffic that is in the higher jet routes. Same thing KRNO - KLAS, but a certain times the carrier is cleared to FL330 but the plan is for FL290. It's dynamic but predictable.Check it out if you're not familiar: flightaware.com

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest NIC0

As I live and mostly fly in Norway, I don't have any use of that link.. :( But thanks anyway.>After you preflight the FMC, the CRZ page will offer a>optimum and maximum altitude for the flight. Choose the>optimum altitude. Be sure you insert any speed or altitude>constraints on the Legs page so the FMC can take these under>consideration when computing a CRZ altitude. In the real>world, ATC may assign a CRZ altitude considerably lower than>optimum because of other traffic considerations.>>Good luck,>>>Floyd>As I mentioned in the first post, the optimum altitude in the FMC tends to take me to way too high altitudes. And second, I need to know the cruise level before I start FS, since I'm using Radar Contact.-J

>As I live and mostly fly in Norway, I don't have any use of>that link.. :( >>But thanks anyway.>>>>After you preflight the FMC, the CRZ page will offer a>>optimum and maximum altitude for the flight. Choose the>>optimum altitude. Be sure you insert any speed or altitude>>constraints on the Legs page so the FMC can take these under>>consideration when computing a CRZ altitude. In the real>>world, ATC may assign a CRZ altitude considerably lower than>>optimum because of other traffic considerations.>>>>Good luck,>>>>>>Floyd>>>>>As I mentioned in the first post, the optimum altitude in the>FMC tends to take me to way too high altitudes. And second, I>need to know the cruise level before I start FS, since I'm>using Radar Contact.>>>-J

Guest NIC0

Of course, that is a way to do it.But I still don't know my cruise level when I'm loading my Radar Contact FP.So therefore I wonder if there is a way to calculate a cruise level based on the trip length.

I use FS Build v2.22 which also integrates with some weather applications. By selecting your aircraft profile and creating your flight plan with FSB, you can look at the navlog and estimate TOC and TOD. By building with too high a cruise you'll see the the altitude for each leg and the max altitude or below will be the cruise level you should regenerate the plan on. Note the FSB also exports data to the PMDG FMC as a CO ROUTE to be imported, as well as in FS9 .pln format for RC4 and other applications depending on it.

Guest NIC0

Hmm.. I will take a look on my FSBuild ;)

Guest NIC0

Ah, thanks Mats!That's going to help a lot!-J

Remember that on the RC Controller page you can modify the cruise FL before START. Once enroute there are menu opens to request higher and lower altitudes.

Guest NIC0

Wonder why I haven't thought of that??? :-hmmmBut thanks for all your answers! :)-J

Guest abulaafia

The vast majority of short flights in Europe happen between FL29 and FL35. Most countries also have fixed flight levels for domestic routes. Since you are flying a 737, you would be flying at FL23 to FL 28 for very short hops and FL29 to 33 on most other domestic Norwegian routes. (my guess only) You can find out more on http://www.ippc.no/ or by contacting them at nettsenter@avinor.no - just ask for the usual FL between cities in Norway. For Europe check http://www.eurocontrol.int/ and their Central Flow Management: http://www.cfmu.eurocontrol.int/. Current route restrictions are here: http://www.cfmu.eurocontrol.int/cfmu/publi...d_31august.htmlThere are city pairs for which only certain FLs are available. It's called 'city pair level capping': http://www.cfmu.eurocontrol.int/cfmu/galle...ug/levelcap.pdf (even though these seem to be rare in Norway)