Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kiddpsychotic

Excited, about my first takeoff, cruise and landing of ...

Guest Kiddpsychotic

Hello everyoneI just got the 747-400 "Queen" last friday, I printed and studied as much and as many sections of the manual as I could, went into the PMDG folder in the FS root directory, to the 747 Load Manager; loaded my aircraft with Pax and Gas, went into the Flightplans folder and wrote down the title of one of those flight plans (CDGMUC001); then went into FS2004 and set up the flight, supplying as much info as I could into the FMC, made all my settings on the EFIS/Mode Control Panel; did my checks according to the "Normal Procedures" section of the manual. After recieving clearance from ATC, I taxied to runway 8L at Charles De Gualle, with the flight director of the AFDS set to on, I pressed the LNAV switch, it engaged, then the VNAV switch, it engaged, clicked the A/T switch to on; clicked the left CMD button, lowered my flaps to 20; got cleared for takeoff by ATC. moved the throttles all the way forward and blasted into the Paris sky, pressed VNAV again and noticed a THR REF appear on the PFD, next to the words LNAV and VNAV. The aircraft climbed out, turned, and began to intercept the CDGMUC001 route that I input into the FMC.After achieving the FMC/VNAV's econ cruise parameters, I went to the LEGS page and monitored the fixes of this flight plan, as I scrolled through the LEGS pages I noticed at what fixes the altitude began to decrease, so that told me that those fixes were envolved with my starting the descent into Munich, as we progressed along, and I approached those intersections or VOR's, I set the target altitude of 2800 (the altitude that the FMC displayed for a certain fix near final approach), on the Altitude Window of the AFDS; I pressed the VNAV button on the FMC and looked at the second page, down near the buttom on LSK 6R, I noticed a DES NOW prompt, so I pressed it, then pressed the lighted execute button. and the aircraft began to descend, then I noticed a DES DIR prompt there, so I pressed it too, then pressed the execute button and the aircraft descended at a good controlled rate, contacted ATC and requested clearance to land, as I neared the final approach, I set the approach speed on the IAS/MACH window, according to the FMC's flap/speed recommendation on the APPROACH REF page, where I noticed the flap degree and the approach speed on LSK 1L, "VREF for Flaps and speed", (I down selected this reference to the scratchpad, then upselected it to LSK 4R, the "Flaps/Speed prompt); I then went to the EFIS/MCP, and turned the ND Mode selector from MAP to APP; I then extended the flaps to the recommended setting, set the landing gear down; heard ATC say "AF744 Heavy you are cleared to land on Runway 7L" I pressed the APP switch on the AFDS, and the other two CMD switches lit up, which means that all three FCC's were now operating, ( the aircraft must have locked on to the VOR radial and captured the glideslope, I was so excited at all this automation that I never noticed if the PFD displayed a green LOC and G/S, or if it displayed Land 2 or 3, I'll have to start watching for all that next time). The aircraft came in for a beautiful landing, straight down the runway, after the main wheels touched down, I lowered the nose down and applied reverse thrust and autobrakes, along with manual braking as I saw the opposite end of the runway coming up pretty quick, I finally came to a complete stop at the very end of that runway, I thought that my passengers and crew were in for a rough ride there for a minute. I taxied to the assigned gate and after parking, I decided to go to the spot view (as if you're outside looking at the aircraft) and just marvel at this superb machine, I have now only began to understand how sophisticated this model (and the real 747 for that matter) is, and I tried to imagine the amount of work that went into such a wonderful simulation. It's hard to believe how far the aircraft simulator makers like PMDG, PSS, and many others have come. Many thanks to the PMDG Team Harry :(

Guest planeman223

I'm glad you got to experience the Flight Simulator world like much of us here do. Heres to many more adventures.From me and the rest of the forum, welcome!!Alex

Guest planeman223

A bit suprised you jumped right into the 744? Feel a little bit overwhelmed? I knew I did my first "commerical sim" flight years and thousands of flights ago. Let us know how it goes.Alex

Guest Kiddpsychotic

Thanks a lot AlexI really appreciate it Harry