Sign in to follow this  

Nvidia GF4, with Twinview -- Awsome Feature For FS !!!!

Just got new computer with Geforce 4 Ti 4400 with Twinview. Aside from the card itself, is has a really neat feature, once you get two monitors hooked up. (FYI - One must purchase a DVI to VGA adapter to use a standard VGA monitor as the second monitor.)The card comes with a program called "nView Desktop Manager". It has many features, but one is really nice, especially for flight simmers. One can set up unlimited (I think) individual profiles, and each profile can store 32 different desktops. These desktops are effective across both monitors.What does all this mean to flight simmer's.As an example to explain....One can define a desktop called "Boeing 737 - 400". Then one can open unlimited documents, applications etc. and place them over on monitor Number 2. Examples would be check lists, charts, manuals, any document and/or application (full screen, partial screen, or minimized to taskbar). These documents, etc. would/could be unique for that aircraft.Now when you get ready to fly that airplane, you right click anywhere on the desktop, choose "nView Desktops", choose "Boeing 737 - 400", and you instantly swap to that desktop. Everything previously loaded and set-up, all appears over on Monitor 2, all ready to go and configured just as you left them.Now, you can do that for 30 more individual airplanes (assuming you leave No. 1 alone for general use.) And then you can make a new profile and do 32 more. What a piece of work !!!!!RegardsBob (Lecanto, Fl)PS... Bonus info. Hauppauge WinTV and FM Radio work flawlessly in this system, across both monitors, and Wacom tablet can be configured to either monitor "only" (thus keeping required fine resolution for drawing, while mouse pointer still gets you over to the other monitor). And... it all works together (at the same time) while in Photoshop 7. I don't believe all this works as it does !

Hi Bob,Thanks for the tips! I just got a new system with GF 4 as well so am working out the finer points of running two monitors with the nView system.I thought the desktop settings thing was only for the "look" of the desktop - I didn't know that it saved window positions etc. This is an excellent feature!Andy (YSCB)

Saves the entire setup including all applications loaded (with data)to where you left them (open, or minimized to the task bar, if you want). Also allows multiple copies of the same thing (if allowed by the program, all loaded to where you left them.Example - Notepad/Check List, Notepad/Notes, Notepad/Aircaft Stats, etc., all loaded and ready to read, with a copy of ACDSee dormant over in the Taskbar.Also you can move the Taskbar anywhere over on Monitor 2. I like it all the way right, on Monitor 2. Awesome !!!!!Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

Hi Bobi also have just got a new computer ,with ti4400 but i cant find any"nview desktop manager " among the utilities any idea where i might download this program i have looked in nvidia pages plenty of info but nothing about where to purchasethanks DON

Should be in display properties...Right click somewhere blank on the screen then...hit the {settings} tab,click the {advanced} button,then look for the {Nview} tab.And it *is* a most cool feature.I'm using 2 17" monitors, FS on the main onewith Squawkbox & FSNavigator open on the second one. =)My GF4 4400 came with a DVI/VGA adapter so I thought I'dbetter put it to use ;-)Steven dub-yah.

Guest flightpro08

It is indeed an awesome feature. I have a GF4 Ti4600 and have been using nView for about a month now. Spent 10 bucks for the DVI to AGP adapter and was hooked up within 5 minutes. :DRyan-Flightpro08 :-coolTaxiwaysigns.com

Don...I can't remember how I found it (meaning that I had it), but it may have been the eVGA website.It must be activated one time in order to see that you have it, and then use it. A wizard will fire up and set it up, once you know where to go for that.The software must have been installed by the computer manufacturer during the card's supplied installation proceedure. It is a standard feature from Nvidia (See nVidia link below). They obviously supply this system with the card.Anyway, the key program is "NVIDIA nView Destop Manager", and it is found by going to the Control Panel. Installed there is an item called "NVIDIA nView Destop Manager".Double clocking this item fires up a wizard to help set-up the initial settings for "nView Destop Manager". Remember, it just lays there dormant, until you run this program one time from "My Computer".In the wizard, be sure and check the box to "Install each time Windows installs". Once you go through this wizard, the "nView Destop Manager" will always be available by right clicking anywhere on the desktop. An item "nView Setting" will now be there. This is where you then fire up the "nView Destop Manager" and make changes. It really does not matter how you set it up during the Wizard, because once the wizard installs it, you can change anything by accessing the "nView Destop Manager" off the desktop (by right clicking the mouse).Also, if you accidently "disable it", you can always re-start it from "My Computer" (as described). And once installed you can always re-run the initial Wizard, from the final installed "nView Destop Manager". Also you must do the following to make it all work.Right click on desktop, choose "Properties", choose "Settings", highlight Monitor 2 Icon, Check Box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". My version does not include the "nVidia" tab in the Advanced, Settings Area of video card properties. So certain "modes", such as "clone", and others, do not work (as advertised). I've not sorted that one out yet, but I think they must have various models or have changed all that. Even though the manual and my version are the same, there are differences.The link for it is:http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=feature_nviewThere is a downloadable manual and good tutorials there.My card is a eVGA:http://www.evga.com/ Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 2200+Wondows XP

I didn't realise you could use the DVI (with an adapter) for a second monitor and was spending some very frustrating hours trying to get my SiS PCI graphics card to work in XP (worked fine in 98)! I guess I should have RTFM!Andy (YSCB)