Sign in to follow this  
Guest spinningwheel

Virtual Memory Too Low?

Guest spinningwheel

Hello, does anyone have the virtual memory too low window open when using PMDG? I don t have this problem when using Level D products.SpinningWheel

Hi SpinningWheel, Could you tell me how much memory do u have and do u have any other addon (e.g. AS6,addon airport) at the same time?I have 1 Gb of ram and I am using AS6 with addon airport, and I always have virtual memory too low problem, and I don't know how to solve it except adding more memory.ben

How do you have your virtual memory set up in Windows? How much RAM do you have? This sounds like Windows setup problem and not an issue with PMDG.BTW, please sign your real name on your posts. It's a rule of this forum.Ben,Virtual memory has little to do with physical RAM. Virtual Memory is what Windows uses when you run out of physical RAM and the information is written to the hard drive. Increasing your RAM will reduce or even nullify the requirment of Windows to use Virtual Memory. Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpg

Guest stevesj

Hi SamYou seem to have some knowledge on this subject, which as you indicate is often debated. I was thinking of getting another hard drive to handle te page file only, the thinkin benig that there may be some 'smoothness' gain as the main hadr drive will have less need for head travel.Any thought anyone ?CheersSteve

I would have thought that 1GIG of RAM would do the job?

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

Guest kanoasurf

Hi Steve;Without more information about your system it is difficult to give good advaice. Bearing that in mind, yes, you are right, if you have a 2nd hard drive and you set up your virtual memory only in the no-system drive will help as the reading head of the 2nd one will be busy reading the memory cache and will relieve the reading head of the system HDD which will be more foucus on deal with the game itself. However remembre that if the 2 hard drives are not equaly fast, the virtual memory should be on the fastest regardless. I try to post yesterday a link, but I don't know where I sent it.... lol. Here is it http://www.tweakguides.com/System.htmlHere you will find a few guides very very helpful. The main ones for start is the first one on the page. It is very large, but it is easy to understand, very detailed and easy to follow. On that guide you have the right solution for the virtual memory very well explained.You may also want to have a look to any of the graphics ones to fine tune your graphics.However, as Sam mentioned, if you choose to have a look at them, I would give you the same Sam's advice: always try first the easiest and simplest option. It will improve your PC performances without harm, it will give some reward, knowledge and room for future improvements as soon as you get a bit more into the subject.Hope it helps and sorry for my english.Antonio

Just a quick answer from me:I have 2GB of RAM, I completely disabled all my virtual memory and have never been happier. Nothing crashes, everything very very smooth. And I never had a crash.

Guest D17S

The only issue that seems to be V-memory related is scenery load rates over very dense environments . . . like the MegaScenery series. I see my V-mem go way up as my system struggles (unsuccessfully) load new areas. This may be CPU related, but I have a P4 running at ~ 3.4 . . . and that

>I believe we are CPU limited. As some smart people who know hardware once pointed out what is often believed to be "CPU limited" is in fact "bandwith-limited". Apparently there is plenty of even spare CPU power available to run FS - what is in short supply is bandwith to pump this data through the main system bus and then to the video card. I thought I would point it out because this is such commonly made error.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest Clansman

Hello people,This has already been debated in these forums, but let me share some ideas with you.begin{lighttheory}The total of a system's memory (a.k.a. VM) is obviously the sum of physical ram and swap space (a.k.a pagefile on windows nomenclature). Swap space is used for temporary high memory loads that don't fit on the physical RAM. I mean temporary because swapped pages are somewhere near 1 000 000x slower to read and write than RAM pages, so it's a very bad idea to keep a system using swapped memory. For the same reason, the operating system tries it's best to keep swap usage as low as possible, providing that all work can be done in RAM.As far as applications concern (unless some explicit tweaking is applied) there is no way to distinguish where your pages are on the VM space - physical or swap. So if some application (like FS+addons) is very demanding, in terms of memory usage, you better have enough RAM or else the OS will surely swap some of the application's pages.end{lighttheory}Back to your case. If your computer is swapping and becoming sluggish and slow or worse, if windows complains that it's getting out of memory, you are certainly swapping hard and should do one of the following:1. get more RAM. there is no such thing as too much RAM - what there is, unfortunately, is a financial limit that varies between people and that should be your limit.2. if you can't get more RAM (which you should), you should increase your free disk space and pagefile size (if you're handling it manually) OR just increase your free disk space (if windows is handling the pagefile size automatically).The solution of getting a faster drive to store the pagefile isn't really a solution, because the problem is not the speed that your computer takes to swap pages in or out. The problem is that it's swapping!Also I wouldn't advise to eliminate the pagefile completely. If there is enough RAM, the system should really not swap ever. (assuming the windows VM manager isn't braindead, which I can't confirm but would like to believe).Bottom line: To avoid swapping, get lots of ram.EDIT: forgot to add the "2." solution.Best Regards,Pedro Venda.