Sign in to follow this  
Guest higgins

PMDG 737

Guest higgins

I understand SIDS and Stars. How do I know where the approaches are relative to my chosen runway. I have FS Nav to use as a reference. Would anyone recommend software or where to find flight plans for thr 737 NG. Appologies if this is straightforward but I have been looking on the forums for 2 weeks.Regards. Jon Robinson.

Guest neerajpendse

Ok, so there are STARs and there are IAPs (Instrument Approach Procedures) ... so are you looking for information about IAPs? This information is present in the FMC (so are STARs). For the purpose of flight planning, I use airnav.com for US airports. I do not have a dependable source for non-US airports. I wish there was a directory of all the approaches available in FS- FS has many approaches you can request other than "visual" or "ILS with vectors" ... but the problem is you can only see them when you are on descent, and ATC tells you to "expect" an approach.Later,- Neeraj

Hi Jon,I'll see if I can help, along with Neera's reply.First the easy bit, flight plans.As you have FSNav you can get it to generate a route between two airports. It will produce the shortest route but will respect one-way airways (popular in Europe).You can also try Routefinder at http://rfinder.asalink.net/, it too produces a 'shortest' route.EURoute http://www.euroutepro.com/ has a large database of European routes.As Nera says, most of the runway approaches are in the FMC so all you have to do is select the runway you will be landing on and then select the correct STAR you will use for the approach.If the STARs and IAPs have been done correctly when you select the runway the list of available STARs will only show the ones associated with that runway.For example, you may have a STAR called FAST but there may be FAST1A, FAST1B, FAST2A, FAST2B. If only FAST1B relates to your chosen runway then the FMC will only allow you to select FAST1B.If you wish to learn more about specific SIDs, STARs and IAPs then the only way is to get the charts for the airports.Best way to do that is to visit the VATSIM or IVAO web site that covers the airport, usually the web site will have links to the charts.HTHDave