Sign in to follow this  
Guest kjolsnes

PMDG 747 Cargo - How much improved compared to passenger version?

Guest kjolsnes

Gents,I just found out that the 747 Cargo version has some improvements compared to the passenger version. I am thinking of the FMC system. Does this justify an upgrade from the passenger version I am currently flying?I am not particular interested in cargo flying but if its a better and improved simulation model I will buy it.Thanks and regardsKjetil

Hi, I beleive there was a good review of the -F here on avsim a few weeks back, that you may find useful :)To be honest there is very little FMC upgrades/improvements. The main things that are improved upon, are the inclusion of PW/GW/RR engine displays on the ECIAS as well as their respective sounds, the new all-in-one digital standby display and the new style LCD looking main displays. There are also a few systems differences too, such as the ECS and and also fuel - no stabiliser tanks.However, this was enough for me to purchase, as I find the 747 a fantastic plane/simulation, and I can either choose to fly pax or freight now :D

Alaister Kay

Flying both, I've found that I liked the PAX version better. There seems to be a slight FPS loss on the F v. the pax versions. (Especially noticed when flying on the F/O's side)The good thing about getting the F is you get a new sound set (which is still awaiting another update), and like AK said in his post, PW/GE/RR performance enhancements and annotations on the EICAS.Other than the cargo doors and other fluff outside, I would say stick with the PAX for now; save for the above, it is, for all intents and purposes, quite similar.

I bought the 744F and I am very happy with it, although I agree on the slight FPS loss in its VC depsite the update. I bought it especially because the 744F is in itself a major patch for the 744pax as well, not only the soundset, many improvements in the FMC routines, more accurate and refined fuel predicitions etc...That being said, it's also a mater of taste, I've always loved freighters :-) , and most important, always preferred the short 747 hump ala classics jumbos rather than the stretched ones.

I love the freighter, I have always loved cargo, I dont know why. But anyway, I am very disappointed in the FPS loss when flying in the VC. I get double the frames in the 2d panel compared to the VC. Oh well

Yes, the FPS loss in the freighter VC is I believe due to nothing else than the visible nose cargo door. Gives an idea to what would have been with the infamous wingviews in the pax 744.

its unfortunate that PMDG claimed it would be fixed in the patch, and has been silent ever since the patch was released and didnt help at all. infact I think my FPS is even worse now

Alex-I think they actually did fix it, but depsite the fix, the visual of that nose cargo door still affects frames/s.I get reasonnable FPS, my end, not as good as the pax version though.