Sign in to follow this  
Guest AJ

OT: Where do new Captains learn to taxi big jets?

Steve, too bad. Would have been something if you had been a pilot on a flight I was on 10 years ago.

Guest D17S

Not a pilot, but someone has to drive these things around when the crews are napping. They sat me in the left seat, and my instructor pal drove from the right for a couple of turns then said "See?". "Ahhh . . . Yea, right" I said, but the airplane was already headed for a turn and my good buddy was on the way to the back for a cup of joe. That's how, in the old days anyway. And then later in life, it occurs that airplane has to be moved from some obscure, remote parking spot to the gate. Now get this. You are the single, solitary soul at the airport rep'ing the company. Ya'll know about that ladder that flops down just behind the nose gear? You're gonna get to put it to use. (BTW, that's the way one can get from the ground into the airplane without stairs.) Guess what your training elects you to do? Go get one of those cuttie-pie counter girls and ask if she want to go for a ride in a 747 . . . just to keep up appearances. Let her try the brakes, maybe even steer a bit along a straight stretch. Works like a charm. Don't give her the radio, though. You'll learn all those tricks. The moral is this. If anyone ever offers to teach you to taxi one of these things, just say NO!

Guest james320

We've just starting operating Virgin's new 747-400 level-D full-motion sim at Gatwick and I find taxiing really fun as it's trickier than flying the thing!

James, I've looked at that website before. It's just too bad you need a UK or EU passport, as I'm American. Would be nice to try the 4 hour exclusive on the 744.

hehe, I can imagine :DWill the 787 sim be availble as soon as it is operational, or will there be a lot of demand from the carriers wanting to train crews first? Also will it be at the same location as the 747? I wouldn't mind a bit of sim time when I get back to the UK :Dp.s. do you get to fly the sims a lot?

Alaister Kay

Guest james320

Mike - Yes it's a shame about that rule. The 747-400 sim is owned by a different company who have different ID procedures. The UK/EU-only rule doesn't apply to any of the other sims.Alaister - I remember you came to BA Craneback, several years ago now! The 787 will be at Gatwick. It will be used for training European crews prior to the aircraft's entry into service, but there's always spare time! Yes, I'm very lucky to be in some kind of sime several times a week, and the novelty still hasn't worn off!

Man I want your job :-lolYeah was a long time ago now, but it feels like it was yesterday :) Thanks for the info :D

Alaister Kay

Guest gremel

If you want to fly the 747-400 real sim, it is located in Miami, Fl and you can look up Alteon on Google for the details.Regards,jack

Guest gremel

Mike,Sorry about the above, I meant to say it was available in Seattle, WA in the USA.Regards,jack