Sign in to follow this  
Guest james320

PFD Colours on 747-400

Guest james320

Why doesn't the magenta target altitude on the PFD turn white once that altitude is reached?

>Why doesn't the magenta target altitude on the PFD turn white>once that altitude is reached? Better yet, is it suppose to? I cannot find a ref in my manuals or other aids that states that is indeed the case. Not that I am 100% on this question. Do you have some AOM ref to point to?Best,Randy J. Smith

Guest Hawkeyeted

It doesn't. That's an Airbus thing.

Guest james320

To be honest I'd never given a thought to the colours on the PFD but I was being a bit of a geek last night and watching the ITVV Virgin Atlantic DVD.When the Captain was giving a tour of the PFD he said that the magenta target altitude would turn white when that altitude was reached?I'm in the full-motion sim (which is modelled on G-VXLG) on Monday and Tuesday so I'll test it in there.

>When the Captain was giving a tour of the PFD he said that the>magenta target altitude would turn white when that altitude>was reached?I watched this DVD many times and don't recall such a thing. Find this piece again and listen carefully - I bet you misinterpreted something. I am willing to watch it again if you tell me where it is.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Maybe he meant to say a white box appears around the altitude when approaching that altitude (appears at 900' to go and disappears at 300' to go)?The whote box around the actual altitude appears brighter at these altitude ranges also.Cheers.Q>

I think he made a mistake, because if you look at the DVD at 52 minutes, he does say and what looks like pointing at the altitude. "Once we reach FL170, that will change to white"However later on if you look at the cruise 1hr 05, you'll see that it's at the appropriate level and the height is still in magenta, so I think it's just a slip up, or he means the box turns white.

Craig Read, EGLL