Sign in to follow this  
Captain Caveman

Predict runway?

Hi is there any pattern to predict the runway ?f.ex runway 35 and 17can i watch the wind or anything to figure out what runway is in use?so basicly, what factor play when runways are chosen?

For a single runway operation set the wind in FS9 so that it blows in the direction favouring the one you would like to use.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

>Hi is there any pattern to predict the runway ?>f.ex runway 35 and 17>can i watch the wind or anything to figure out what runway is>in use?>so basicly, what factor play when runways are chosen? >The runway in use is usually determined by the wind direction. If the winds are from the north, say 180 degrees at 5 knots, runway 17 would be in use. This just provides a slower ground speed for take - off and uses less runway. It's possible to take-off on runway 35 but you would use up more runway to reach Vr and a 5 knot higher ground speed for your take-off. The Automatic Terminal Inforamtion Service or ATIS is the pilot's source for weather information. You can tune to ATIS in Flight Simulator.Ken.

In the real world, I always get the METAR during preflight and might check it enroute but I always get the ATIS before descent or not later than 60 nm out from arrival. The intial contact with approach control always includes information on what approach to expect, and the controller is expecting you to tell them that you have current information ("SWA 12 descending through 14500 for 10000 with information Kilo). For example, if landing 17 then approach will say "expect the visual approach runway 17" or "expect the ILS 17 approach." From that point on, the planning become execution and I set things up for the expected arrival. There are many places where there are preferred runways, for example KLAS will almost always be landing 25L regardless of winds (due to terrain there is no approach to 7R).

Dan Downs KCRP

Well you learn something every day. Didn't know about that one.Thanks.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall