Sign in to follow this  
Guest pierre974

IGS Runway 13

Yes that approach was great fun. I used to operate there in an old 747-200. Often on layovers we would venture up to the checkerboard and sit and watch some of the approaches. Lots of varied methods but the one that seemed to work the best (at least for me) was to veer slighlty left when visual so as to allow a greater radius of turn to line up with final and not to be tempted to cut the corner. You also had to maintain the descent during the turn or you would end up high when finally aligned and then have to do a dive for the runway.The only other offset approach I can think of offhand is the LDA 26 at PHNL (Honolulu). That can be fun in certain wind conditions and the wide reef runway can give an illusion of being too low. CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

We fly the old IGS approach in the 737NG simulator I instruct on and it's always a challenge. Good fun though, I did an hour's circuits there a while back and found what Steve said above worked quite well, if you 'go wide' slightly it makes the turn a bit more gentle and easy to control. Keep the descent going though, throwing your 737 or 744 at the ground because you're too high is generally agreed to be bad form. :-)The other fun Kai Tak experience that people seem to overlook is a heavily laden departure off Runway 31. You have to turn quite steeply to the left after take off to avoid the high ground.Another interesting curved approach is the Parkway visual into KJFK Rwys 13 L and R. Charts available at www.airnav.com. The corresponding Canarsie Climb off Runway 31 L or R is also a blast, requiring an immediate left turn after positive climb to stay parallel with the shoreline. The ITVV Concorde DVD has a fantastic demonstration of this departure.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest benhoffman

The Parkway Visual and co located VOR/DME approach to the 13s at JFK are used (as are the Canarsie & Breezy Point climbs) to keep traffic clear of the LaGuardia airspace corridors; they're fun to try! :)

Guest pierre974

Thanks for the hints...Cheers :-wink2

Guest benhoffman

There is also the offset LDA/NDB Runway 08 for Juneau, Alaska (JNU/PAJN)I hear this is quite a difficult approach.

I've heard many people talk about Canarsia and Breezy point climbs out of JFK, yet airnav doesn't have those names, what are the official names for these SIDs?PaulEdit: Boy do I feel like an idiot...those are just parts of other procedures...

Guest benhoffman

Its on all JFK DPs KENNEDY9 (soon to become KENNEDY1)GREKI3HAPIE3MERIT3etc