Sign in to follow this  
Guest eeic4768

First time buyer 737NG- very pleased

Guest eeic4768

I just bought my first PMDG aircraft- the base 737 package. I'm very pleased with this 737 compared to the default and the 50 North product. The 50 North set wasn't bad, I used PSPanels with it, but it didn't have info for a beginner. I didn't know much about PMDG although I've seen mention of the products. I've been pretty much a GA simmer, and I bought the Capt. Sim 727 and 757 recently to try the bigger stuff. I was overwhelmed by the planes and didn't see a lot of useful info for me at their forums. The forums here at AVSIM seem a lot better. That's why I decided to give PMDG a try.Question- should I purchase the 700/800? Is it a must have upgrade to the base package?Erika EickHampton, NJ

It really depends - the reason that I say this now is that if you plan to run FSX then I would say wait because a new version will come about hopefully sometime next year. If you plan on keeping FS9 for a while, then upgrading to the 800-900 is certainly the way to go since the 800-900 adds much more to that base product in every system. It's like have a whole new sim too ;-)Best,Randy J. Smith<<>>

Guest eeic4768

>>> It really depends - the reason that I say this now is that if>you plan to run FSX then I would say wait because a new>version will come about hopefully sometime next year. If you>plan on keeping FS9 for a while, then upgrading to the 800-900>is certainly the way to go since the 800-900 adds much more to>that base product in every system. It's like have a whole new>sim too ;-)>>>Best,>Randy J. Smith>><<LCD>>>Well I can't afford to upgrade my PC (2.4 Ghz P4, 768mg RAM, GeForce 6600) & I'm happy with my FS9 add-ons, scenery, GA stuff, for now. So I guess I'm going to get the 800-900 upgrade. FSX seems to be a heavy resource hog from what I see on the forums, so I'm sure my present PC will not be adequate. Thanks for the information.Erika EickHampton, NJ

You will not regret your decision to add the 800/900 upgrade. It adds much more functionality to the FMC and panel instrumentation such as TCAS to the ND.Be sure to install any patches available after installing it and to follow the upgrade install instructions.Once you install the upgrade you may find a batch file in the 600/700 folders that needs to be run when updating liveries. This corrects some VC compatibility issues regarding textures. This is in my Aerosoft versions after service upgrades but I think it also applies to the PMDG distribution.In some cases a deinstall and reinstall of the 600/700 is necessary. Be sure your registration key and install file is available for a reinstall. Others will will have to supply more details as I have my instaals on CD from Aerosoft with fixed keys.This is just a heads up here as I installed both of my CD versions at the same time but I have seen postings here regarding this.