Sign in to follow this  
Viennaman

ILS PROBLEMS

Hi Folks !I am flying the 744 now for over a year and more and more i dont understand the ILS system activated through the FMC. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. I put the ILS RW in activate it and while i am approaching my RW neither the ILS nor the GLideslopeneedle are appearing. What is wrong . Please adivseThanksMarek

>Hi Folks !>>I am flying the 744 now for over a year and more and more i>dont understand the ILS system activated through the FMC.>Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. I put the ILS RW>in activate it and while i am approaching my RW neither the>ILS nor the GLideslopeneedle are appearing. What is wrong .>Please adivse>>Thanks>>Marek If you give us an example of a particular instance we could possibly help you out. Are you at the correct height on approach for the G/S?Best,Randy J. Smith

Randy what is showing on the Nav Rad page? Are you getting the LOC and GS scale showing but no actual LOC or GS steering commands? This problem could be due to the SID and STAR being available for the runway but there might not be an ILS in the AFCAD file or it may be coded incorrectly. If you are able please advise the ILS's that are giving you problems.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

Hi Folks !The problem is that i dont get the diamond for the ILS or glideslope int he glareshield at all. I programm the FMC, eg. FRA ILS 25R or yesterday WSSS 02L, activate the Runway int he FMC, see my flying path but when i apporach the RW there is no ILS or GS slope needle (diamand) visible. Due to the fact, that i dont have the ILS frq. for every single Airport, i cant put the Frq. in the FMC, but i assumed the FMC would have them stored.Please advise Marek

I thought frequency should not be an issue.Ok,You're flying along, your fmc is following the flight plan.You open up dep/arr, select the destination airport, select the runway (and possibly star)then press exec.Your legs page may need verifying. Sometimes I get discontinuity things. just edit and remove the gaps.Finally, you need to set your final flaps. (appologies, im at work, trying to visualise in my head)Its the arrivals page i think, its shows flaps 25/speed, and flaps 30/speed. you need to choose one and put it in the field below it.And if i remember correctly, on that very page, on the left, it should already say, the runway, maybe the length, and freq??? (i think)That should be it, autopilot with vnav and lnav selected will follow until you reach localiser. At that point I usually click on APP on the autopilot console.But definitely as your heading for the localiser, the usual pink lines should appear with the diamond in the left screen.Thats it for a basic ils landing, obviously not forgetting the usual gears, flaps, tray tables in their locked position.Does any of this seem familiar? Or are you doing something differently?Luca

Sorry, just one more thing to add to this.When you've selected the airport and runway, you should clearly see on the map, the airport, and a very long dotted line going through it which represents to/from the runway.And obviously your waypoints leading up to it.The airport, and that very long dotted line (i believe) only appears when you've actually selected the arrival airport and runway and EXEC correctly.Likewise you see it when you're departing, its exactly the same.

Hi !I do exactly what you wrote in your last 2 mails. I see everything, but i DONT GET THE ILS needle and Glideslope needle (diamond ) to appaer. Thats the only problem i have. Isnt it strange ???

How bizarre. Im afraid Im clueless then.Other than the last few points, I dont know:1) The 1st line in the LEGS page should be saying something similar to the runway name, maybe something like RW09R2) The airport you flying absolutely positively definitely has ILS activated, and you are approaching that airport/runway (sorry for asking stupid question)3) I think in the left screen, in the top right corner, i think it says the ILS name or the current waypoint??4) You should have a dme saying you are ## miles away from the final leg (ie: the runway)5) APP should be lit, and all 3 CMD's button should be lit.6) Check you havent got some sort of Failures activated that might affect it7) Under the DEP/ARR section, the runway should have next to it8) I dont think you should ever have to manually set the NAV, but get the ILS freq (from World Map or something), and compare the freq with the NAV1 freq in the FMC.9) Something I noticed. If I fly EGLL - LFPG and whilst enroute, I select the DEP/ARR page, the details shown are still EGLL. I have occasionally selected a runway for landing, not actually realising that the runway Ive selected for landing is back at the departure airport.Im sorry, i cant think of anything else right.Hope someone else can help.Luca

Guest 737767

If you have choosen your ILS-approach correctly on DEP/ARR page, you should open the NAV-Page of the FMC. The ILS-frequency should be listed there along with rwy heading and the remark PARK abeam LSK 4L. Just downselect to scratchpad, than reenter to LSK 4L. You should now see the ILS ID and frequency in white letters on the left upper side of your primary flight display and accordingly get the diamonds when in reach of the ILS-signal.hope that helps..Andreas HermesEDDH

Guest 737767

to luca:9): if you carefully select LFPG ARR at DEP/ARR page, you should get the available runways along with the approaches at LFPG..regardsAndreas HermesEDDH

Guest 737767

right luca :-) Andreas HermesEDDH