Sign in to follow this  
Guest NWA744

NO ACTIVE ROUTE and vnav problems

Guest NWA744

hey everyone,I have read the manual and everything but when I get to the step about AFDS..im confused..where do i set the AFDS?? and then the next step is to press the VNAV button, so i press it, and it only stays on for a second or so and then goes away. I am then informed on my FMC with a message saying NO ACTIVE ROUTE..after I entered in all of the route information...plleeassse hellp!! thank you so much!!EDIT: and also in the FMC the route and vnav are both activatedJason

Hi Jason, I'm assuming when you say the route is activated you also pressed execute? Also have you set departure and arrival rwys? On the ground VNAV will arm but you need the arrival rwy programmed so it can build a profile. Just trying easy stuff first. Joe

Guest NWA744

Yea my arrival runway is set and everything..it still says no active route and i couldnt be any more frustrated....

>Yea my arrival runway is set and everything..it still says no>active route and i couldnt be any more frustrated.... Did you ACTivate and EXECute the route?Best,Randy J. Smith

"Also have you set departure and arrival rwys? On the ground VNAV will arm but you need the arrival rwy programmed so it can build a profile."I've never had any problems arming VNAV/LNAV without setting the arrival runway. Arrival runway is not necessary for departure, not in the real bird or PMDG. There must be something else causing this problem.Cheers.Q>

Q, if the arrival runway is selected in the air and in the RW I'm sure this happens often, will VNAV have to be rearmed or will it just recalculate the descent? I'm only asking because I don't fly online so my arrival rwy is usually set before departure. Btw thx again for the info, always willing to learn more about this beautiful a/c. Joe

"will VNAV have to be rearmed or will it just recalculate the descent? "No rearming required, Joe... As long as your final waypoint isn't far from your destination (e.g. using the ICAO code for the airport as your last wpt), the FMC will give you a reasonable idea of fuel burn for the trip.The arrival runway should be entered prior to TOD. Of course, if it's a really short flight, you may need enter your arrival info prior to takeoff.Hope this helps.Cheers.Q>

"VNAV should have its own book!"It does (or it did)... It's called the Bulfer Big Boeing FMC Users Guide. Tells you almost everything you need to know about the 757, 767, 744 and 777 FMC.Maybe a little expensive for some tastes, though.See:http://www.fmcguide.com/catalog/Cheers.Q>