Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dashik1

Crash at 150 Knots 747-400 on takeoff

Guest Dashik1

Heres a strange one, I was departing WSSS for EGLL and everytime I tried to take off as soon as the 747-400 reached approx 150 knots on the runway a crash was triggered.I tried with different fuel loads etc and alternate runways but its not good it still crashed. It was working the day before and noting was changed, It is a fully licensed copy (I have all the PMDG stuff :D).Any Ideas? FS2004, Fully patched as is the PMDG 747, I also have the Freighter variant. Default Scenery and AS6.RegardsJames

Will no doubt have something to do with the runway surface. The default WSSS has bitimus runways which causes big problems with the Queen and will cause exactly the kind of behavoir you are suggesting. Best way round is to use AFCAD to change the runway surface to something else.

Guest Dashik1

You know, Funnily enough I wondered if it was the runways, but surely your pulling my leg?

>You know, Funnily enough I wondered if it was the runways,>but surely your pulling my leg?Nope, either change the runway surface, or turn off crash detection. To avoid frustration, I turned off crash detection.- John

Guest Dashik1

Think I'll go with turning off the crash detection and use Autoland, that's probably the easiest option and I wont feel like I'm cheating then if you know what I mean!Thanks for the replys guys.James

Make sure that you do not over rotate or you will most likely cause a tail strike which = crash detection. Best,Randy J. Smith

>Heres a strange one, I was departing WSSS for EGLL and>everytime I tried to take off as soon as the 747-400 reached>approx 150 knots on the runway a crash was triggered.>>I tried with different fuel loads etc and alternate runways>but its not good it still crashed. It was working the day>before and noting was changed, It is a fully licensed copy (I>have all the PMDG stuff :D).>>Any Ideas? FS2004, Fully patched as is the PMDG 747, I also>have the Freighter variant. Default Scenery and AS6.>>Regards>>JamesJames,Just as Randy said, make sure you're not over rotating the airplane. That is, do not rotate more than 8 degrees. A tail strike will occur at 11 degrees. You'll notice that the flight director indicates 8 degrees when you first switch it on. When the airplane clears the runway, pull back and climb at V2 or V2+10. This should be set prior to take-off. Ken.

Randy-Phil's right, WSSS has runways surfaces set as 'bitumus', which cause the heavies to crash above certain speeds, during take off and landings as well.I changed it to 'concrete', since turning off the crash detection spoils FS realism: getting ones hands wet when on final is indeed part of the fun I think.Regards,

Yes this is true too. I was adding that the tail strike issue is another possible reason which does happen to those with crash detection and fast rotation..Best,Randy J. Smith

The bitimus runways also seem to increase the amount of friction acting on the wheels. Stopping distances are alot shorter.At one airport with bitimus taxiways, I had to run the engines over half way as the plane came to a stop as soon as the concrete taxiway ended and the bitmus part began.Also, I performed a de-rated take off on a bitimus runway. Got to the end and still hadn't reached V1. Thats why I change the runway surface before flight.