Sign in to follow this  
Rakham

Ground Proximity Terrain Override Switch

Good morning.Where very precisely is this switch???I have tried this forum and the previous forum but could not find any answer there. Can not find it in the manuals either. I found the little ground proximity panel but not this switch.I did NOT search threats like: I have a problem! Or : Please help! etc...Too many of those....Thanks for your kind attention and best regardsRakhamToshiba Satellite P4 3.4 Ghz1536 DDR RAM nVidia GeForce FXWinXP Home on the road andPIV 3.4Ghz, 1536 DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 WinXP PROYoke & Pedals CH Products at home

Is it the 3rd on the right from the Ground proximity panel named Config GR OVRD?RakhamToshiba Satellite P4 3.4 Ghz1536 DDR RAM nVidia GeForce FXWinXP Home on the road andPIV 3.4Ghz, 1536 DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 WinXP PROYoke & Pedals CH Products at home

If a Terrain Override switch is included in the PMDG 744, I'm not sure what it would do, because the Terrain Warning system is not modelled ;-) On aircraft fitted with Enhanced GPWS, the Terrain Override switch inhibits Terrain Clearance Floor (TCF) and terrain awareness and alerting display (TAAD) functions of the GPWS. The basic modes (1~7) of the GPWS are not affected by this switch.The flight crew would use this if the crew determined that the position data was invalid or to inhibit warnings if it is obvious no terrain threat exists. If I recall correctly, PMDG only has 3 GPWS-related switches. The fourth is the Terrain Override Inhibit switch.Cheers.Q>P.S. Note that some of the aurals in PMDG were recorded from aircraft with EGPWS fitted (this may lead to some confusion).

Guest benhoffman

I'll have 12 hours on ANZ008 to SFO stuck in seat 48A on Nov 25th (B744-441) read my 900 page 747-400 AOM and find out, but ...Doesn't the Terrain Override inhibit the "TERRAIN TERRAIN WHOOP WHOOP PULL UP" GPWS alert?

"Doesn't the Terrain Override inhibit the "TERRAIN TERRAIN WHOOP WHOOP PULL UP" GPWS alert?"It doesn't inhibit regular GPWS mode 1~7 alerts, so you will still get TERRAIN, TERRAIN, PULL UP alerts when you are descending too fast (in close proximity to terrain) or the terrain is rising up towards you (as it would if you were approaching the slopes of a mountain, etc).Enhanced GPWS gives a kind of terrain look-ahead function. This part of it will be inhibited. With the button pushed, the plane can only sense what is going on directly beneath it, not ahead.Cheers.Q>