Sign in to follow this  
Guest ljasmann

Crash on Landing 747 P

Guest ljasmann

I am about 2 months into flying the Queen, and every once in a while, I crash on landing. I am coming in "on the numbers," with LAND3 showing, VREF pegged, landing gear down, Autobrakes 4, winds slight cross wind at 4 KTS, right in the groove on the glide slope. Everything normal until the nose wheel comes down, I apply reverse thrust, and immediately crash for no apparant reason. I am showing no problems of any kind when this happens. Seems to happen about every 4th or 5th flight.Any ideas on what is going on would be greatly appreciated...Larry Jasmann

Hmmm, I've had the same thing happen at various airports and always attributed it to a bad airport code.I've been just above the runway, flaring... and suddenly the autopilot shuts down, and the nose drops... this has happened off an on. Weird.

Guest SAS449

It may be that the runway surface is coded as asphalt in the afcad file. This has caused me several crashes on some airports, for instance WSSS Changi, Singapore. You can crash on takeoff from such airports as well, just because the runway surface is no level. Must be the temperature ;-) making it bubbly or waveshaped. If you can, use the afcad program by Lee Swordy to change surface to concrete, thats all.

Guest AJ

>It may be that the runway surface is coded as asphalt in the>afcad file. This has caused me several crashes on some>airports, for instance WSSS Changi, Singapore. You can crash>on takeoff from such airports as well, just because the runway>surface is no level. Must be the temperature ;-) making it>bubbly or waveshaped. If you can, use the afcad program by Lee>Swordy to change surface to concrete, thats all.Actually you have it backwards. Asphalt surfaces works fine. The problem occurs at airports like WSSS where the surface is listed as Bitumus or Macadam. USe afcad to change them to either asphalt or concrete.Andrew

Guest SAS449

Sorry, my error. On the other hand, I'm not an asphalt worker, can't tell the difference between materials, except for the smell of them. And FS doesn't smell unfortunatelt

>It may be that the runway surface is coded as asphalt in the>afcad file. This has caused me several crashes on some>airports, for instance WSSS Changi, Singapore. You can crash>on takeoff from such airports as well, just because the runway>surface is no level. Must be the temperature ;-) making it>bubbly or waveshaped. If you can, use the afcad program by Lee>Swordy to change surface to concrete, thats all.Well there you go... WSSS is exactly the place it last happened, on a flight from Christchurch to Singapore.

This little gem keeps popping up and yes it is a bit of a bummer after a perfect 8 hour flight or whatever to have a crash landing simply because of the runway surface. Fortunately easily fixed but when I'm flying to an unfamilar airport I make a point of opening the afcad and checking the runway surface. I first came across it at WSSS too.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."