Sign in to follow this  
BAW277

Question for the Pro

Hi all,i am a bit irritated about the correct startup procedure. After looking up several videos i came to the following conclusion and i am asking for correction here:GE or PW engines: you pull the start-button and turn on the fuel valve and turn the fuel valve ONLY off in case of a wet/hot/hung-start.RR-engines: you pull the start button and wait for a certain N2 then you switch on the fuel.i hope i made my point clear. The PMDG procedure seems to be to pul the buttons and switch on the fuel cutoff valves whereas in case of RR-engines a different procedure should be used from what i see in several cockpit-videos but i may be wrong here...Best and keep up a work that quality and expertise even allows questions like these!Holger

>Hi all,>>i am a bit irritated about the correct startup procedure.>After looking up several videos i came to the following>conclusion and i am asking for correction here:>>GE or PW engines: you pull the start-button and turn on the>fuel valve and turn the fuel valve ONLY off in case of a>wet/hot/hung-start.>>RR-engines: you pull the start button and wait for a certain>N2 then you switch on the fuel.>>i hope i made my point clear. The PMDG procedure seems to be>to pul the buttons and switch on the fuel cutoff valves>whereas in case of RR-engines a different procedure should be>used from what i see in several cockpit-videos but i may be>wrong here...>>Best and keep up a work that quality and expertise even allows>questions like these!>>HolgerMan, the second paragraph is so, well you know. Very Freudean! :) Love it.As for the more important stuff you asked, I do believe you are right. Assuming that the AUTOSTART function is engaged, CF6s and PW4000 can avail of AUTOSTART. I recall somewhere, that dual engine start is not recommended on the 4Ks, but is used often on CF6s.And I recall somewhere, that RB211s do not have AUTOSTART function, and must be done manually, like the ole' days.

I don't believe this is engine model specific, but airline procedure specific. If my failing memory is working correctly, both the GE and PW's can be started manually or in autostart mode.

i have no doubt about GE since a friend of mine works as F/O on a 744 for a german carrier and they only have the GE-variant. He was kind enough to talk me through the right procedure using his original checklists, but he has no idea about the Rollers, since they are not used at his employer.BestHolger(Edited to make more sense)

GE or PW engines: you pull the start-button and turn on the fuel valve and turn the fuel valve ONLY off in case of a wet/hot/hung-start.If you do that with autostart:on...nothing happens. The start sequence activates when the fuel switches are moved to run.off...the engine simply runs at max motoring rpm. Fuel control needs to be on to get any of those abnormal starts.

"And I recall somewhere, that RB211s do not have AUTOSTART function, and must be done manually, like the ole' days. "Depends on the carrier. All our 744's have Autostart (GE and RR aircraft).P&W were last to develop Autostart, but now have a unique Autostart system with four individual autostart switches (not modelled in PMDG).Cheers.Q>