Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

744 Sound Update

Hi Arnaud and Glide,Thank you for your comments, let me shed some light into our situation with the FS9 sound platform.-External SoundsetsIn real life as you walk around an aircraft or it taxies past, you get a whole mix of different sounds eminating from the aircraft. Lets consider the engines, and how the sound of the engines vary if you stand infront of it, or to the side or behind it, where you get various mixes of mechanical engine whine, high pressure airflow and also deep rumbling combustion sounds depending on your viewpoint. It is pretty much true that depending on where and what angle you observe an aircraft you will always get a different blend of the various eminating sounds, leading to at least hundreds of combinations of sound mixes based on viewpoint! Unfortunately in FS9 we are limited to only ONE viewpoint of sound or one blend, which of course is a very restrictive barrier when producing realistic external soundsets. Being limited to one sound mix meant that we decided to have a blend of the three key sound elements (mechanical whine, high pressure air flow, combustion rumble) in amounts which most pilots could hear and appreciate.Fortunately for FSX things have changed for the better. For the first time we can assign various sounds to three dimensional "zones" and therefore have a defined control over the blend of sounds you experience as you walk around an aircraft. I am greatly looking forward to adding this new technology to the FSX aircraft range so fingers crossed things will be alot better in the future. :)-Engine Startup SequencesAgain due to the limitations of FS9 it has been a challenge to implement a truely realistic engine startup sequence under the restrictive conditions of the FS platform. At the moment FS9 does not allow us to uniformly control the engine rpm between 0% N1 and idle N1. Under these restrictive conditions we have had to make the best of the available technology and create sequences that are based on the N1 of the engine and not a trigger wave file. I cant comment about FSX on this matter until we get some more detailed information from MS.One final tip, if your external soundset is too loud or too quiet you can simply change the relative volume compared to the cockpit sounds.1) From the FS menu at the top select "Views" then "View Options".2) Then select the "Spot plane" checkbox and adjust the "Distance" paramater, higher values will make the external engine set quieter (see screenshot below).3) Finally use the regular zoom function to zoom in and out to compensate.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/158609.jpgBest regards,Armen L CholakianSound Engineerhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Armen-I do appreciate your explanations, and am learning how limitative FS9 was. It's nice on the other hand is to read that FSX will allow more sounds realism.As I'm quite well used with fs9 I've also been playing around with spot plane view distances, however I still find the normal jet wine to be slightly too high in the trebbles, compared to the 744F updated sounds which I found to be perfect.Thank you Armen :-)

Guest glide

Armenthanks for explaining about the limitations with fs9 its a shame but look farward to FSXKav

Amazing sounds, thanks. Will the MD-11 get the same treatment?

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

Truly, a significant improvement to the overall package, I´m impressed

Guest glide

with the new update i cant seem to disable cockpit sounds in external view even though i have unchecked the box for this in the PMDG sounds menuKav

Hi Kav,Now that is a strange one because the sound update does not affect that feature in any way. The "disable cockpit sounds in external view" setting is part of the core programming and nothing to do with the soundset release package.Armen L CholakianSound Engineerhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest glide

ArmenFixed!turned out to be a corrupted start up file once packs turned off and then on again no more external pack noiseThanks antwayKav

>The perfect mix of bass and trebble was actually nothing but perfect(prior to the updateDevelopers, please don't think that I'm trying to say that the new sound update is not accurate because I'm not. The sounds in the previous version sounded more accurately, based on the sounds I hear in downloads and 747 videos, and I'm referring to the cockpit sounds. With the new sound update, I cannot hear the whinning sounds of the engines as I did in the previous version, at least it's not as loud and am I not correct that that sound is very distinctively heard when the throttles are advanced? Why am I'm not hearing the whinning sounds now? I'm sure pilots hear this in the real world because I've heard 747 pilots talk about it. Could it be that GE, PW, and RR made some improvements in the engines that the whinning sound is no longer heard? My computer uses the AC-97 chip and I'm not really sure if installing a separate sound card would improve that. There's more bass and it seems to drown out the whinning sounds of the engines. I just want an explination and I already know that you use real world 747 pilots to model the sounds. I hope you don't think that I'm trying to say that the sounds are not correct because I'm not. I was hoping that the sounds would be closer to what I hear in downloads and 747 videos. Could this also be a limitation in flight simulator? Thanks for a great product, The PMDG 747 Queen of the Skies. Thanks, Ken.

"I cannot hear the whinning sounds of the engines "Hi Ken,It sounds to me like the recommend levels are not set on your system, or you have some sound card specific bass boost or 3D effect which is affecting your sound levels.Have a look in your message box, I have some tips for you to try out.Best regards,Armen L CholakianSound Engineerhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

>"I cannot hear the whinning sounds of the engines ">>Hi Ken,>>It sounds to me like the recommend levels are not set on your>system, or you have some sound card specific bass boost or 3D>effect which is affecting your sound levels.>>Have a look in your message box, I have some tips for you to>try out.>>Best regards,>>>Armen L Cholakian>Sound Engineer>>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpgHi Armen, Thanks so much for your reply. I don't have a separate sound card in my computer except the AC-97 chipset, which I think is on the motherboard. But there still could be something on my computer that's affecting my levels. I did set the recommended settings in FS. How do I check my message box? I can't seem to find it.Ken.