Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eagle92395

New challenge idea... but is there an Antarctica???

Guest Eagle92395

I want to start-up a challenge like Tornado Wilkes did with the Around the World flights... it would be to touch all 7 continents in a propeller driven aircraft... BUT, I can't find out if there is an antarctica land mass??!!

There is. There are even a few air fields you can download for it.Vince

Guest Eagle92395

Thanks for the info... I'm going to practice landing in that area and then see if I can generate any interest in flying to each continent.

If you do a search for "antarctica" in the Avsim files or over at flightsim.com you'll turn up 2 or 3 FS2K2 scenery files. McMurdo is probably the best known real place with a landing strip.Honestly, I've never landed there in FS2K2. I landed there quite a few times in FS2K on downloaded strips.Vince

Well before you undertake another challenge like this you might want to ok it with tom or someone on staff because these things take up enormous bandwidth. More detailed rules are also a definte plus. Also it is impossible to fly to any of the poles because the fs is world is cylindrical rather than spherical as you get closer to the poles the game goes wonky. As they techinically dont exsist. I think we need a forum just for these things because i love taking part in them and it would be easier to navigate. In a pefect world one of these wold be going all the time..well we'll see

Guest Crash_Hawk

It just depends on where you want to land. Remember at the South Pole it is about 11,000 feet or so. At least it's not hot.

Guest Eagle92395

BTD_JFK, I mostly want to figure out if it's possible to land in Antarctica!! I'm going to contact AVSIM and post rules in the future. I'm not sure what all it'd undertake, but I have an idea of the antarctica touchdown...I'd have a specific landing strip to hit (somewhere accessible). I hadn't downloaded the souther continent though and when I attempted to fly there before, I just ran into flat, plain terrain...nothing more. It's still in the works about a new challenge...just some possible ideas :)

there are no places to land in the default MS antartica, but it is possible to reach there via floatplane i suppose. Adding antartica would require a download of scenery and that doesnt quite seem right to require a download for the challenge. Once again it is impossible to fly over or even land at any of the poles in fs2002, but i do believe antartica is included just no place to land

Guest Dominik Mann

Doesn't the FS scenery engine produce weird effects when you try to fly over the poles? Some of you might still remember my thread from two weeks or so ago where I reported about some strange observations I made after taking off from Alert (in the high north of Canada)...such as the plane appearing to fly sideways (!) the farther I got north.Seems like M$ still adhere to the "flat world" concept, eh? :(

Guest Eagle92395

Dominick, it only appears when you get about 200nm (maybe a bit farther out) from the poles. I have landed at 3 of the airstrips (and with the caravan amphib) on the islands less than 500 nm off of the coast of South America now and they all work fine. That total darkness thing is tricky though!!! Without runway lights, it takes a few passes to align the plane well enough to NOT CRASH!!

Guest Eagle92395

Also, BTD_JFK, I thought about the same thing as you with some people not having antarctica...but I'm sure that enough people would have it so when it comes time to jump across to Antarctica that "someone" would have the necessary files to fly to and from it??!! I'm going to review Tornado Wilkes' rules, and modify them slightly for this upcoming challenge..after I contact avsim's moderators. But I'm not on vacation until next week... and I don't want to start a challenge and not be here for it!!