Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

What should you expect from FSX? An opinion...

Guest Globe Cargo

......- but after five months of work on the new version- we'll still waiting on a few things we need to finish her up- and to get her step-cousin the MD11 off the production workflow. But I'm betting we have these tools soon- and in no time at all you'll have more new airplanes than you can shake a stick at! What tools?? What of the 744 you cannot model / design in FSX you could in FS9? :-hmmm Globe Cargo - Virtual Airlines for Polar Air and Atlas Airhttp://www.globecargo.org

Nameless-Please read and adhere to the forum guidelines posted in this forum. We require all posters to sign their names within the body of their posts. No exceptions, please.Putting the 747 into FSX is not just a matter of moving some files around- the airplane has to be specifically imported to the simulator using the correct methods as described by MS in their SDK documents and using in many some cases tools provided by them.We can only do so much work without the documentation and tools... This is not a simple task- which is the point we keep trying to tell you guys. ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest Globe Cargo

Sir,I am not nameless but actually my name is not relevant as I am a legal customer of PMDG and that must be enough.Well, actually you did not answer my question. :-) I am aware that putting the 747 into FSX is not just moving files around. But with the release of FSX Deluxe - and for you as a beta tester long time ago - MS released a full SDK. So what beyond this is so unclear that you need "tools" for to design in FSX what you already did in FS9? Is it an editinng tool, e.g. for certain flight dynamics parameter or is it a new FSX feature which needs special "care"?Just curious...Thanks. -SteveGlobe Cargo - Virtual Airlines for Polar Air and Atlas Airhttp://www.globecargo.org

Guest aarskringspier

>Sir,>>I am not nameless but actually my name is not relevant as I am>a legal customer of PMDG and that must be enough.>>Well, actually you did not answer my question. :-) I am aware>that putting the 747 into FSX is not just moving files around.>But with the release of FSX Deluxe - and for you as a beta>tester long time ago - MS released a full SDK. So what beyond>this is so unclear that you need "tools" for to design in FSX>what you already did in FS9? Is it an editinng tool, e.g. for>certain flight dynamics parameter or is it a new FSX feature>which needs special "care"?>>Just curious...Thanks. >>-Steve>>Globe Cargo - Virtual Airlines for Polar Air and Atlas Air>http://www.globecargo.orgYou know all those questions were answered in his post if you would actually read it not skim it for the imformation you want to hear and gloss over anything that might upset you.And yes your name is relevant its the rules on the forum PMDG provides thei house their rules.

Actually, his question was not answered. FYI.. I am curious as well. It would just be interesting to know specifically what areas of the sim they needed the tools and SDK to figure out as it pertains specifically to the PMDG 747 product.Great post by the way Rob!

Chris Lezama

Guest aarskringspier

"TOOLS TOOLS GIMME TOOLS!:=========================One of the areas that nags at my enjoyment as a developer involves the tools that we need in order to produce FSX products. In the past, the FS development team has either waited many months before posting SDK information- or they have had to provide only minor updates to the existing SDKs in order for developers to make progress. With FSX, however- there are dramatically more changes to the simulator- and these changes demand all new SDKs to get developers moving forward.Obviously- SDKs are not a priority item for release when you are trying to fix bugs and cram all kinds of new functionality into the new sim without missing your deadlines- but to all of us in the development community- we wanted these tools three months ago so that we could have our newest stuff "ready to go" so our needs conflict. The FSX development team is working furiously to get the development community (commercial and freeware) the tools we need to begin producing products for FSX that take full advantage of the new strengths of FSX- but they aren't here yet- so in some cases we are sitting still and waiting for their updates. (I promise- they ARE working hard on these things- and if we'd had them before release we would probably be waiting on something else... It's how development seems to work...)So- like every other developer- PMDG wanted to have the new version of the PMDG 747-400/400F ready for you ON RELEASE DAY- but after five months of work on the new version- we'll still waiting on a few things we need to finish her up- and to get her step-cousin the MD11 off the production workflow. But I'm betting we have these tools soon- and in no time at all you'll have more new airplanes than you can shake a stick at! (Use the sharp one you were scratching your head with...)"I dont know how you get anymore detailed than that or are you seriously wanting him to expalin each and every little item theyre waiting on in hopes to get some sort of time table for release?

Dear Steve- (thanks, btw, for providing that name)the fact that you're a legal customer of PMDG is not verified or provided anywhere on this forum, as there's no login process that verifies customer IDs - keep in mind, that this forum is hosted on AVSim, not on our servers.We're already in discussions with Microsoft regarding the necessary tools and documentation further required - contrary to your claims, there was not a "full SDK" release, there were many items missing or partially documented. For further explanation on those, head over to the FSX forum or the Aircraft & Panels forum, there are lots of posts over there that will educate you on particulars.Best regards,

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest cfm56

Thanks Mr. Randazzo for that informative post. I was wondering if it were possible for you and Ryan Maziarz you computer specs to the forum. It will be pivotal as to whether ill buy FSx right away...Gideon B

> We begged and pleaded to have rolling friction addressedThanks Robert at least for trying. I can't understand that it takes so much to change but one number :-hmmmMichael J.

Guest Gunnyret

RobertI have been a PMDG customer since the beginning and have eagerly waiting for each new product. Being a PMDG customer is more like being a member of a family, because of the honestness and forthrightness of the people who run it. I have read all your posts in regard (by the way where's my ice cream!) to FSX. Never one to get it the first time I now have a better understanding on what to expect. ThanksHow's the sleep deprivation going?????Richard Churchill

Guest aarskringspier

>> We begged and pleaded to have rolling friction addressed>>Thanks Robert at least for trying. I can't understand that it>takes so much to change but one number :-hmmm>>Michael J.>I doubt its just one number nothing is that simple. But I cook for a living so what do I know :D

>I doubt its just one number nothing is that simple.Actually friction is that simple - one number (ok, there are in fact two numbers - static and dynamic friction). There are only two explanations for their refusal:1. they think their number is correct or2. they tied this number to something else (programming 'kludge') and they are afraid of rocking the boat.Michael J.

Guest aarskringspier

>>>I doubt its just one number nothing is that simple.>>Actually friction is that simple - one number (ok, there are>in fact two numbers - static and dynamic friction). There are>only two explanations for their refusal:>>1. they think their number is correct >>or>>2. they tied this number to something else (programming>'kludge') and they are afraid of rocking the boat.>>Michael J.>Thats what I mean I doubt they think its correct I imagine its tied to something else. Rarely in FS can you change something without screwing something else up. Its never as simple as changing one number that change may make 400 things worse.

Many thanks for your views of FSX Robert, a very interesting read.I was interested to read that the MAAM aircraft will port easily to FSX, I have them both and love the sound and look of them although I don't actually fly them very often.One aircraft I did get into the demo version, although not tried it in the retail deluxe version, is the RealAir SF260, a great single engine fun aircraft and it didn't seem to eat up frame rates.I have also flown the default 737 and 747 on a revenue flight for my VA and found the experience very wanting ;-), can't wait for both models to be released by PMDG.I did try the first gliding mission but failed spectacularly despite having done some gliding back in the mists of time.BTW have you tried the expert mission 'Monsoon Approach' in the 747? I gave up somewhere near the airport and issued all PAX with parachutes :D Hopes.I hope there is something in FSX that will help 3rd party developers produce aircraft that don't have such a big impact on frame rates as in FS9. As you know from the forums a lot of us are struggling to get decent FPS with the default aircraft and are concerned what they will be with add-on aircraft.Will your FSX releases be able to take advantage of the FSX 'shared cockpit'? I can understand if you are not able to say at this stage of development.Again many thanks for an interesting read and look forward to release of both the 737 & 747.Dave

Hi Rob,Thanks for this excellent article. I'm getting FSX this weekend (work has prevented any real simming this week at all for me), and will look forward to some of those aural and visual effects that you describe.Bruce.