Sign in to follow this  
Rakham

SIDS and STARS

Good evening.My question is: are all those sids and stars(ready for the FMC's) we can download on avsim, navdata and some other places exactly the same ones that real ailiners are using on a daily basis like the ones from Jeppesen?Or are they "adapted" for the flight simulator?Thanks and regardsRakham Toshiba Satellite P4 3.4 Ghz1536 DDR RAM nVidia GeForce FXWinXP Home on the road andPIV 3.4Ghz, 1536 DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 WinXP PROYoke & Pedals CH Products at home

The SIDSTARS available from planepath.com are derived from the same data that Jeppesen uses. The SIDSTARS found at navdata.at are uploads by hobbyists and vary in their accuracy; however, most are all basically the same as used in actual use. One key is currency, planepath.com has provided updates every cycle but navdata.at is only updated when someone uploads a new file and some are quite old.We are in a transition due to the previously available global navigation source data (DAFIF) is no longer available to the general public. The owner of the data, the Department of Defense, as secured the data as of 1 Oct 06. The current cycle may be the last updata provided by planepath.com and navdata.at has formed a business relationship with navigraph.com, and intends to start including SIDSTARS concurrently with the AIRAC data updates (not free but not expensive).I currently maintain a SIDSTAR collection of about 34 US locations available at AVSIM, and that number is growing. These are derived from FAA data that I have purchased as a minor cost of enjoying my hobby, and strive to ensure that the procedures are accurate and useful to the PMDG pilot (I often add transitions from STAR to approach fixes to be used in lieu of ATC services). I hope you get a chance to try them out.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello RakhamMost of the sidstar files you can download are very close to the real world. Some have required additional fixes depending on the fmc, but the overall result is very real. Many of the files that have been written have been done because the DAFIF database either didnt include the airport or didnt cover it well enough. The majority of major airports are kept up to date.There are also many free chart sources available to check them against http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/login.jsp , http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approa...ndex.php?mode=d theres many more.One thing to remember though is magnetic variation, this can be out by 2 or 3 degrees in FS as compared to real world charts. Simon Butler

Good morning,Thank you both for your kind attention. I will then continue to use them and perhaps start to seriously learn how to make my own ones based upon tutorial from Terry Yingling.RegardsRakhamToshiba Satellite P4 3.4 Ghz1536 DDR RAM nVidia GeForce FXWinXP Home on the road andPIV 3.4Ghz, 1536 DDR RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 WinXP PROYoke & Pedals CH Products at home