Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wannabe-Pilot

Nose sticks up 3-5 degrees on glideslope.

Guest Wannabe-Pilot

Hello all, I'm having a problem (I think) with the PMDG 737-700. When I'm on the glideslope the nose of the airplane is always sticking up 3-5 degrees in order to remain on the slope. I am guessing this is not normal. My fuel is 100 (In the left wing I guess), 3.5 in the center and 100 in the right. There's no wind that could interfere and the VREF is usually around 132 and I always add 5knots to that.Any help would be greatly appreciated!Tim

Tim, I'm not sure that 3-5 degrees nose up is a problem actually. One of our resident PMDG 737NG drivers could confirm this, but I don't think it's unusual. You certainly should NOT have a nose DOWN pitch, at a very minimum I'd expect the nose to be on the horizon or greater. What flap settings are you using? I presume your speedbrake is fully stowed (but armed) as well.Chrs. Mark

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Wannabe-Pilot

Thank you for your help, Mark. I am glad to hear that this is probably not unusual. I always use flaps 30 and yes, the speedbrake is stowed and armed.Tim

There are very very few airliners that will have a nose down attitude on approach. The only large ones I know of that even come close are the 777 and DC-10 (not sure if this carried through to the MD-11). Some of the commuter props and RJ's have it as well. It's definitely normal for a 737 to be nose up though.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest mia

Yeah! 3 or 4 dregrees nose Up is totally normal, notice if you select Flaps 40 you

Santiago was the first to point out that angle of attack is the key. Lift varies as a function of AoA and airspeed, not pitch (although pitch is our primary handle to control AoA). I remember watching B-52s climb out with what looked like nose down attitude! They almost looked like they were flying tail up. There's plently of good source for learning more about flight dynamics: Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying by Wolfgang Langewiesche is the original.

Dan Downs KCRP

You'll find often that airliners with leading edge slats tend to have level or higher approach attitudes than aircraft without slats.

Guest Wannabe-Pilot

Thanks for your help everyone! Am I correct that the standard landing flaps for the NG is 30?Tim

Tim,30 would be the mostly used flaps setting for the NG, yes. Light and/or long/uncontaminated runway you might wanna go with 25. Heavy and/or short/contaminated runway and/or any other reason you'd want slow approach/landing speed and short landing distance you'd go with 40. Oh, and engine out calls for flaps 15 if my memory serves me right.Hope it helps,