Sign in to follow this  
Guest md_eleven

A small question about the MD-11 modeling

Guest md_eleven

Hello!I have been eagerly awaiting the MD-11 for a long time now and can't wait to get my hands on it.I have one question thuogh regarding the modeling of the airframe within gmax. All other add-ons available so far, on the net and in the various shops, have one minor flaw. The main gear always stays parallel to the mainframe of the aircraft, even when the plane touches down. You can often see the gear being compressed by the weight on touchdown, however the front tires of the main gear remain suspended in the air.I always considered this a limitation within gmax or FS2004, however I have now come across a (freeware) aircraft which has a main gear that behaves exactly like the real world ones. It is a bit hard to explain, so I allow myself to include two screenshots in this post.It is nothing really major or very importanat I guess, but given the high pitch attitude of an MD-11 on touch down a main gear like that would be great. So the question is, has PMDG looked at this at all?Thanks! Keep up the great work.StefanScreenshots:This aircraft has just touched down. The gear is on the ground (spoilers up), however the front tires are still in the air. In real life this would be quite dangerous as only the rear tires would carry the full weight of the plane.gear1.gif This aircraft however seems to be modeled correctly with all 8 tires firmly on the ground. Hope this clears up what I meant :-)gear2.gifP.S. In order to get those pictures I flew some very low speed approaches and kept the nose up, so now comments on that please :-)

Stefan,whether or not that thing with the landing gear is possible I leave that for the 3D modelling experts.Just wanted to throw in that the MD-11 model you show has another error. Spoilers are fully up even though the nose wheel is not on ground. That is NOT possible on the real MD-11 :)Oh and BTW to have the nose high after touchdown you don't need to fly slow on the real bird, after touchdown with spoilers extending the airplane wants to pitch up all by itself, you'll have to be careful about that!Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest A32X

Can the air-ground sensor fail with the PMDG MD-11?_Paul

Guest md_eleven

Hi Markus!Thanks for your reply.The model in the top screenshot is not that accurate anyway as even the nbr2 reverse comes on when the nose gear is still in the air.I am actually a commercial pilot myself and have flown with many ex-MD-11 captains. The story is that after touch down the spoilers create a nose up attitude, then a second later when the autobrakes kick in the nose wants to sink rather rapidly. A lot of stuff to think about in a very short time, and over-correcting with the tail so close to the ground is a big no-no.It is my training that also prompted the question regarding the main gear animation. Gears are not designed to carry the full weight of the aircraft with only half of the available tires on the ground. Having said that I have seen some A330 and even 744 in crosswind landings touching down on just one gear. Very scary!Anyway, if you consider it worth having a look at I would be really happy as it would take the whole aircraft that extra step further.ThanksStefan

>the main gear animation. Gears are not designed to carry the>full weight of the aircraft with only half of the available>tires on the ground. Having said that I have seen some A330>and even 744 in crosswind landings touching down on just one>gear. Very scary!There is nothing scary about it. As a pilot you should know this is a standard landing technique during crosswind landings. And being on "one gear" does NOT mean that the whole weight rests on this one gear - at this point wings still carry considerable weight of the aircraft.> In real life this would be quite dangerous as only the rear tires would carry the full weight of the plane.Again, animation issues aside, you are making the same mistake assuming that full weight of the aircraft rests on the rear gear while in fact it is still flying. Michael J.

Guest md_eleven

Hi Michael!Sorry, my mistake. I didn't obviously mean the dipped wing landing at the end of a crabed approach. I meant a full brunt impact of 4 tires with lots of smoke.There is one comment though I want to correct, if I may. In the first picture the gears are indeed carrying the full weight. The aircraft is down and the spoilers are up meaning the lift on the upper side of the airfoil is significantly reduced. As the speed drops the positive pressure area underneath the wing decreases in effectiveness and the gear carries the weight. Hence my question if it is possible to animate it differently. Sorry if I didn't explain what I meant clearly. We were shown a video once of a 744 landing at KaiTak. The guy slammed the whole plane down on just one gear and further more then kicked in the rudder causing additional stress on the tires on the ground. After the video the instructor said politely:"If you ever do that, you are fired!"In the manuals of most of the aircraft the manufacturer will state that seperate gears are not certified to carry the full weight of an aircraft. It doesn't mean they are not capable of doing so, but they are certainly not certified.In any case, crosswind landings are propably one of the most discussed topics as there are different views on how to tackle them. My brother-in-law flies the 777-200, my cousin is a captain on the A340 and all three of us will give you a different version of how to best fly and land in a crosswind :-)Stefan

Gents-Well- the conversation wandered considerably from the original question- so i'll just pipe in with that answer. ;-)The process of animating the gear trucks has been done by us already on the 747-400 (which is SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult given the need to compress the body gear struts and manage the way the main gear fly off during rotation etc etc blah blah blah...So in short- yes... the MD11 gear will be correctly animated.It's what we do. ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com