Sign in to follow this  
Guest Buck Bolduc

New DX 9.0c update, Gooood!

Guest RollsRoyce

The graphics in FS do seem to load faster than before after this update. Thanks for the heads up!Bilal

Brain, sorry to say, but that is all utter bull.The "rendering system" that is utilized by IE and Firefox is GDI, not DirectX. DirectX 9.0x does NOT CHANGE THAT.And, yes, I can assert that with authority.I think, perhaps, you are getting your information confused with the upcoming Windows Vista. Vista's new "Desktop Windows Manager" (DWM), is the replacement for GDI, and requires a DirectX 9 compatiable video card. The new "Aero" user interface requires DWM.- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Guest pilotbrian0

Having looked it up, I concede that infact, I had that data confused.That doesn't change what I mentioned about the other changes that DX 9.0 c has brought to the table. It has improved the process of rendering accelerated graphics substantially allowing for more cpu cycles to be spent NOT trying to figure out how to render graphics.Why hasn't there been an increase in framerates? Because the bottleneck is still present, and wasn't at the GPU. In FS 9.1, the resource bottleneck is at the CPU, ESPECIALLY if there is a large number of custom gauges or high level of AI traffic. In these two cases, the CPU gets a workout on any flight (even with the default plane in the instance of high level of AI traffic). However, some settings which before would have slowed the machine down, will now, more likely not. (Unless you're running an X1900 or the NVidia equivalent, you still aren't going to get maxed everything, that is just too much for the video card to handle.)As far as quality options to change, that is purely dependant on what your video card can handle. You will however see that you can ramp a few things up as more of what gets rendered by your card (textures and 3d models mostly, not the gauges) will render more cleanly and won't have as significant a hit on framerates.The biggest boost I've seen from DX 9.0c was in that finally I was seeing my VC the moment I switched to it. (Sometimes a slight delay, but not much). Ultimately, DX 9.0c might seem like a minor update, but that is because the API changed little, what is going on behind the scenes has changed dramatically. Otherwise there wouldn't have been an update.-Brian

Guest Buck Bolduc

>Buck - web browser rendering has nothing to do with DirectX>though, that's the thing... That's all within IE/Firefox or>whatever you're using.Ryan. I would tend to agree with you, except for one thing.I did nothing else but update DX.The odd behavior WRT avsim page loading has been going on for some time?I thougt it was normal.The Harvey text would appear in the center of the screen, followed by the C&H multifunction panel, other graphics WRT add's were all over the place.When I bring up avsim's home page now evrything come up in place AND it loads faster. I was able to advance my sliders in FS9 way beyond what I could before. Flying using real weather without hiccups is now a pleasure!ALL of this after updating DX.Perhaps I had a corrupted DX file?Not looking for an argument hear. Just reporting my experienc.Thanks for the great work on PMDG!PS: I am using Firefox's latest ver, no beta.

Guest pilotbrian0

Interestingly enough, if Firefox is NOT using the older (pre GDI) graphics rendering, then nothing having to do with a directx update will change that. Unless microsoft has changed in the update the way they handle GDI which I highly doubt.My bet is that the 9.0c update had(or relied on)a lot of changes to other windows rendering functions (they are all heavily interrelated as any programmer knows) and that had something to do with it. Perhaps you had some part of windows that was way out of date, and when 9.0c installed it went "Hey, that's too old, I need a newer version of that inorder to work" and automatically downloaded and installed it.-Brian

Guest HeavyMetal

I finally got around to installing the DX9C update.. I did note that the graphics in FS2004 are a tad bit more stable (not as much flutter) on my 6 year old Dell puter.. I have to assume the the update is responsible..------------------------------------------------------------------Joe FritschChief Operations OfficerNoble Air VAhttp://www.nobleair.com"It's not the fall that kills ya. It's the sudden stop at the end"http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gif

Guest Buck Bolduc

>Interestingly enough, if Firefox is NOT using the older (pre>GDI) graphics rendering, then nothing having to do with a>directx update will change that. Unless microsoft has changed>in the update the way they handle GDI which I highly doubt.>>My bet is that the 9.0c update had(or relied on)a lot of>changes to other windows rendering functions (they are all>heavily interrelated as any programmer knows) and that had>something to do with it. Perhaps you had some part of windows>that was way out of date, and when 9.0c installed it went>"Hey, that's too old, I need a newer version of that inorder>to work" and automatically downloaded and installed it.>>-BrianI don't exactly know why the upgrade made a rather big difference for me, just know it did.When someone brings a machine in for repair I genrally ask "Whats the last thing you were doing"? Lately I see "Browser Highjackers", as well as the usual trojan horses and spyware. One is called "lookme" somethimg or other.Bring up IE, it sits for a few seconds and then goes to another site...the mouse pointer goes by itself to a download button and commences to dload a free tune up.Free spyware!

Guest glide

no improvements here in 2004 or Fsx with the new updatekav

Soo...Randy...I'm not allowed to point out the idiocies of MS? It's either/or...is it? Sorry but I will always point out the deficiencies. Is anything better? No. Does that mean I must just accept the stupid things without a word? Also NO. Since I "patched" this MS stupidity my FS9 no longer pauses when WGA "phones home" every 15 minutes. The day that I'll let MS...the most "security challenged" OS producers on the planet and makers of IE, the most "security challenged" browser on the planet, run my system security will be a cold day in "heck". WGA is nothing more than MS trying to find "cheaters". Although I don't condone software piracy...I ALSO don't condone ridiculous measures which affect my system performance in any way. I bought and paid for every Windows version I've ever had. I don't allow other spyware to "phone home"...I'll be damned if I allow Windows to do it every 15 minutes. I don't "hate" MS Windows...I wouldn't run anything else. What I hate is underhanded tactics that are "packaged" as the greatest thing...but are really just corporate spyware. Not on my system...not ever. Let me know how that FS9 pause works out for YOU, Randy.

Guest SIX

I must say that I was skeptical, especially after reading the naysayers. But, he is right. The left and right POV screens are just "THERE." I don't have any other explanation except I installed the DX redist.Nice update!Wilson HinesMy Blog: http://www.wilsonhines.com --------------------------------------http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://online.vatsimindicators.net/837438/3074.png

Guest PittsburghII

Please do point out the idiocies of MS, but do it of the alternatives also. I think you are managing your security pretty well, as the phoning home on every boot was fixed a long time ago. Kudos to you!Boaz