Sign in to follow this  
SWVA4420

737NG frame rate dies after FSX install....

Hi - this is my first post at the PMDG forum. I have a question concerning frame rates on the 737NG after installation of FSX on a separate, external drive - Before I did this, the frame rates were great - upwards of 25 - 30 FPS in general. (I have my FPS locked at 35). After installing FSX on that external drive, the frame rates drop to less than three...yes, THREE. This extreme drop happens once I start programming the FMC, and only with the main panel displayed. (Overhead, and the side views with the joystick hat are fine - still excellent frame rates for those after programming the FMC).I've tried loading the 2D cockpit only, 3D cockpit, and 3D cockpit & cabin - no change between any of those views.(I have not yet flown the 744 QoS...will test that later. All other addons are still ok w/frame rates).I have all models, all liveries, and all updates installed for this aircraft. My system is a 3.2GHz P4 w/HT, 1.5GB RAM, and a 128MB ATI video card...all hardware is a little over three years old.I LOVE this airplane in real life, and LOVE the PMDG version...but right now, I cannot fly it, which is upsetting, since I'm also a Southwest Virtual Airline F.O.! Has anyone else experienced this drastic FPS reduction problem post-FSX install? If so, any remedies??!Thanks,Jim BlakeSWVA F.O.

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

??????????????????Jim, please explain !!!I thought the PMDG-737NG did not work in FS-X...Jose Luis.

sorry about that....I'm running it in FS9.1, NOT FSX...I have both on that same system.Jim

Jim Blake

Well, unless you installed FSX in the same directory as FS9 (!!), they are completely independent.Has _anything_ else changed in your system since you noticed the framerate drop? (Video drivers, virus scanners, _anything_?)You should also monitor your CPU usage (with the "Processes" tab of Task Manager) while running FS9 - FS9 should be the only process using a substantial amount of CPU.- Bill

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Hi Bill - Yes, FS9 and FSX are in separate directories, since they're on different hard drives.Nothing else has changed on my system, and FS9 is the only process hitting the CPU hard when it's running.This is a weird situation....no other aircraft addons (Level D, FeelThere, PSS) are having this same problem....do you think possibly deleting the FS9.cfg and .txt files might help? Any other ideas??Thanks,Jim

Jim Blake

Jim,There's just no way this is possible - the FSX install does not touch your FS9 folder. I'm running both as well and my NG runs fine along with everything else in FS9. You've got something else going on man.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest NA4515

Hi Jim,I had the same problem with my PMDG 737 and 747-400 and 400F my Leveld767 was uneffected if was only my PMDG aircraft that had this problem also the FMC would take longer and the airacs would take ages to load I also had installed FSX then I saw this post on the first page of the forum (FS9 Reported MIssing Install NOTAM) saying FSX may delete some registry information related to FS9http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=121853&page=So I downloaded the FS9 path utility and ran it and my FS9 path was corrupted I fixed FS9's entires with FS path reinstalled my 737 and all works fine now.So if FSX can corrupt FS9 it may also do the same for PMDG737/747?.You can get the FS9 path utility from www.Avsim.com file name fs9path_utility.zip. or from Flight1 http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=libraryJohn BarronNoble Air VA

Gents-John has a good point here....If your FS9 path is corrupted- then both the NG and the 400 are not going to have good path information with which to work. I haven't indepedently validated that this would have any impact on either (at first glance- it should not- but this is windows after all.)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi John - the problems you describe are EXACTLY the same problems I was having. I downloaded and ran the fs9path utility from Flight 1, and I've done two flights since - one with the 737NG and one with the 744 - and everything seems back to normal! :) (I was also experiencing the extreme frame drop with the 744 prior to running the fs9path fix, and it corrected that as well.) I also did not have to reinstall anything, much to my relief!So, it certainly seems that installing FSX on the same system as FS9.1 causes a problem with PMDG aircraft, even if it's installed on a separate hard drive.Thanks for posting the solution you found, as it seems to work in my case as well, and perhaps for others who may be experiencing this problem! And thanks to Capt. Randazzo for posting it originally!PMDG is the BEST!! I can't wait to see the MD-11, as well as their upcoming 737NG, Airbus, and of course the updated 744 for FSX!! :) AWESOME STUFF AWAITS!!!! :)Thanks again,Jim

Jim Blake

Guest NA4515

Hi Jim I am glad it work for you I had already uninstalled all NG and 747's before I found the post so now I am wating for reactivation of my 747's.John BarronNoble Air VA

Hi John - Oh, man...I hope your reactivation goes smoothly! Good luck!!Jim

Jim Blake

This also happened to me after installing FSX. My 737NG in FS-9 goes down to 2 fsp. The LD767 gots 30 fps and the PMDG 747 gets 30 fps. Only the PDMG 737 goes down to 2 fps. It all started when I loaded the new FSX (in a separate folder). Strange!

Paul Gugliotta

To follow up, I did fix the problem with the utility as described above and everything is back to normal. Thank God for this site. I was about to give up on my 737NG, but it's a great product and I glad it's back in my hangar.

Paul Gugliotta