Sign in to follow this  
downscc

SIDSTARS for John F Kennedy Intl (KJFK)

Available at either NavData or AVSIM FS2004-Flight Plans libraries. All (turbojet) SIDs STARs & IAPs based on FAA NACO Digital Terminal Procedures for Cycle 0611. The SIDs include the GATEWAY, BREEZY, BRIDGE and CARNARSIE routes. STARs are provided as published (ATC vectors required) and also enumerated for runways 4R 13L 22L & 31R to provide routing from approach gate to ILS final approach fix (no ATC vectors required). The routes are based on actual ground tracks, except runway 13L, which provides a scenic route over the Narrows Bridge up the East River and then East over Queens to the final approach course. All ILS, RNAV & VOR approaches are included. I provided for FMC guidance on VOR 13L/R inside Old Mill Creek where the track curves from NE to East to the runways; however, just as in real world, you'll have to hand fly from the Old Mill Creek MAP. The file includes a text header with SID & STAR charts and notes to assist the use of these procedures. Everything has been flight tested with the 737NG.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest D17S

OK. Time to tackle the big dog. That river approach to 13L: is that real? Haven't tried it yet, but sounds like fun already. What's your favorite?

I have not seen a track yet at flightaware for any landing 13L/R except the ground tracks for the visuals (which I duplicate with the VOR 13L/R approach). However, I made some assumptions: 1) There is an ILS so there must be a route to it. 2) LGA is only 10 nm North 3)Lots of residential noise sensitive areas like Queens 4)Most observed traffic is vectored South of JFK and offshore as much as possible. So I took all these assumptions and built the scenic river approach for 13L. It's been tested in the 737-800, nice views.My favorite? At JFK I like the challange of the arrivals over LENDY where you are at 12000 and only 24 nm North of JFK. However, my favorite approach of all time is coming home from Viet Nam and passing the golden gate bridge on the arrival to Travis AFB.

Dan Downs KCRP

The ILS approach to 13L is vectored south of JFK towards the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, then up the east river in a right traffic pattern for the intercept of the localizer. It is hardly used and only in situations where weather absolutely demands it.The main approach for the 13's is the VOR 13L/R approach. It keeps them away from the LGA traffic pattern as arrivals from the south and west are vectored over brooklyn and queens towards the airport.JFK arrivals over LENDY cross there at FL190 as stated in the LENDY5 arrival. They are then vectored over LGA or south over the statue of liberty depending on the arrival runway in use (4s/13s for the prior, 22s/31s for the latter).

Chris Lezama

Chris: Thanks very much. You caught me on the LENDY constraint.. I was at work away from my files (it is coded correctly, but my memory is what it is); however, much thanks for the feedback on the ILS13L. It turns out that my reasoning for the vectors to final were correct since your description is an accurate description of the route I encoded into the procedures file.I followed the charted approach for VOR13L/R, but was frustrated with FS9's lack of accurate scenery and had to guess at the locations of the guide-in lights. Even Old Mill Creek is not represented in the scenery. However, I think I'm close.In all cases, I provide the basic arrival procedure as published for use by pilots working VATSIM. On occasion, I'll add versions of the approach that provides routes to FAF's for use in lieu of ATC vectors to final. If you get a chance to look at these for JFK have suggestions please contact me via email address given in the accompanying readme file or in the header of the kjfk.txt file.Thanks again.

Dan Downs KCRP

Watching the RW 13L/R approaches when on the Belt Pkwy in Bklyn is great. Low flying 744s right over your car. The lead in strobe lights are right next to the road and run right through the neighborhood. Joe