Sign in to follow this  
Guest tyrant

CH Yoke Question

Guest tyrant

Hi all, I know this isn't a CH forum, but I was wondering if I might get some advise.I'm seriously considering buying myself a CH yoke, i'm sure plenty of you use them. I've heard they are superb, and they add a bit more realism.My problem is that, i've only got one leg, and don't think i'd be able to operate pedals very well, thus I dont think i'll but them.Is the yoke sufficient by itself? Is it still worth having without the pedals? How can I set up to have nose wheel steering, can i use my old joysticks rudder axis for the nosewheel steering in conjunction with the CH yoke?Any other thoughts / comments on pros / cons, with or without pedals would be highly appreciated.Jason

Guest aarskringspier

Absolutley, you dont need the pedals to enjoy a yoke to its fullest.

Jason,I definitely think you should go for the yoke. It greatly adds to the feeling of the airliner and to subsitute pedals with the joystick rudder axis is nothing but a great idea! Avoid using the Auto-rudder option.Hope it helps,

Jason,you might want to have a look at the CH Pro Pedals USB. Although they are not the most realistic ones available for PC simulators they have one thing you can't do with real ones:The pedals are not all flat, at the bottom of each foot area they have something like a plastic border higher than the pedal itself, enabling people to comfortably rest their feet on them without sliding down.Now that plastic is high enough to enable not only to push the pedal but you can also move it the other way by pulling your foot towards you, that plastic thing will prevent your foot from sliding off the pedal. This would enable you to move the pedals easily in both directions and would give you all the freedoms you need for crosswind landings.Have a look at some pictures and you'll see what I mean. I've just tried it and it works fine using one foot only.Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Hi Jason,I am using the CH Yoke and think is a good price/quality product. Actually, I recently upgraded to the USB version. Very good yoke and pedals indeed.However, I have to disagree with Markus (sorry markus) as I do not find it easy to push and pull the pedal forth and backward with the same leg... is too hard - too much effort. Considering your situation I woulnd't recommand it at all.Another alternative might be looking at a CH flight stick (instead of a yoke)which you can twist in order to have rudder input (therefore eliminating the need for the pedals. Ofcourse one can always use auto-cooridnation and have only the CH Yoke. But I don't know how to control rudder in opposite direction of aileron when landing with crosswinds in 'crab mode' (so basically auto-coordination with crosswinds is hmm..still a mystery to me on how to perform that).Hope this helps a bit.Dieter

I am using the CH Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quad. I highly recommend them though I do feel the Yoke is slightly overpriced. Having said that however it's a solid type of plastic and has a near legendary reputation for reliability (I have gone through several joysticks so this was a big factor for me).Personally I think the pedals are great and really add to the flying experience. I was a twist stick user for a long time and although it took me a while to adjust I don't think I could ever go back.Though you only have one leg I feel that if you really wanted a more realistic flight experience you could use the pedals effectively. You could make a slight modification, perhaps a strap or footband to fully attach your foot to the pedal to make full use out of the pedals. The pedals operate in tandam, so pushing one pulls the other, so you can effectively use the pedals using a single pedal with push/pull motion.The problem would be maintaining contact with the pedal during the pull but looking at my pedals right now I think it could be done.Anyway hope that helps!JeremyEdit: Also about your second joystick you could always assign that as your rudder axis. This would give you the ground handling ability your after though I'm not sure if the rudder works independently with auto-cordination enabled(you could easily test this though).

Guest tyrant

Thank you all for your inputs and suggetions,I really appreciate it. You've all prety much sold me on the yoke, my bank manager thanks you :-beerchug . As for the pedals, i'll try check out Markus's suggestion. But for now, I think i'll just use the yoke alone.Once again, thanks for you time.Jason