Sign in to follow this  
Guest electroself

PMDG 747 pitch trim

Guest electroself

Hi, folks...I am begining to fly the Queen and during climb I get a loud noise as I am moving the joystick to follow FD bars...I am sure that is related to pitch trim settings of the aircraft. Before takeoff I have adjusted trim settings to the one showing on FMC Takeoff page...I have been reading PMDG TRC Lessons and discovered that during inicial climb and level flight I am supposed to adjust pitch trim settings. Are we supposed to do it everytime that we flying without AP on? Do real pilots have to do the same adjustments during inicial climb? If so is there a rule to follow or you just try pitch trim buttons till the aircraft is following FD bars or any other desired aircraft attitude with no pressure on the yoke?Best regars,Luis

Luis,>I am begining to fly the Queen and during climb I get a loud>noise as I am moving the joystick to follow FD bars...Probably the stick shaker. You are too slow and about to stall.>I am sure that is related to pitch trim settings of the aircraft.Not likely. Trim has to be manually adjusted according to current flight regime.>Are we supposed to do it everytime that we flying without AP on? Yes.>Do real pilots have to do the same adjustments during inicial>climb? Yes siree bob! I can tell you it was quite a handful when I was flying the JA37 fighter simulator at a Swedish AFB. But apparently it becomes second nature after a while.>If so is there a rule to follow or you just try pitch>trim buttons till the aircraft is following FD bars or any>other desired aircraft attitude with no pressure on the yoke?That sounds about right.Hope it helps,

Luis, almost all aircraft out there (Boeing or lightsport aircraft) are flown exactly the way you described. Being able to trim your aircraft in all flight regimes is an essential part of being a skillfull pilot. In fact, I know a certain 777 instructor and checkride inspector who belives that he can tell during the first five minutes of flight with a total stranger whether he's a skillful pilot simply by watching how he handles his trimming during climbouts. I'm not as radical as that man, but I do believe being a good "trimmer" adds a great deal of finnesse to your flight. Best Regards,Victor LimaSBGLhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

>If so is there a rule to follow or you just try pitch>trim buttons till the aircraft is following FD bars or any>other desired aircraft attitude with no pressure on the yoke?Basically you use the yoke to establish and HOLD the FD-commanded pitch, then set the trim such that you can release pressure on the yoke.It's not generally a good idea to use the trim to set the pitch directly, at least not in light aircraft and I would assume in heavies as well.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg