Sign in to follow this  
ilovetofly

Programming spoiler and flaps axis

I've been attempting to program the spoilers as well as the flaps to the axis levers for the PMDG 737-6/700 on my CH TQ without success. I've tried FSUIPC (registered ver.3.7) as well as the assigment page in FS9. Once in a while I can get the spoilers to function correctly, although it's not permanent since a short while later it no longer functions. As far as the flaps settings, I'm unable to get them to move in increments and the lever jumps all over the place.Has anyone been able to accomplish this? I really don't like the CHCM for programming a 'map', just too confusing.Thanks ahead of time,Jim

Guest Totalbeginner

I use the prop lever on my CH yoke as the speedbrake lever. I simply went to "assignments" under the controls menu, chose "Joystick Axis" and programmed it from there. Remeber to calibrate it first, and you'll have to check the reverse box, otherwise the lever will work in the opposite direction. Hope this helps,Martin Neep

I fixed the problem. Since I use specified cfgs for each aircraft I fly so I don't have to reprogram my CH TQ each time I switch aircraft, the problem layed in that I was trying to modify a cfg for a different 737. So I deleted the existing cfg in FS9 and let the sim rebuild it and everything works as it should. All 9 flap settings, spoilers and reversers work. The only thing is that the flap settings can be adjusted with only the top half of the TQ lever movement. I'll try to adjust that in FSUIPC so as to use the entire lever range of the TQ. Jim

Jim,It is good to know that I am not alone. I thought I had a lemon as no matter what I did as soon as I touched the flap lever it commanded full flap or something in between. Not what I wanted. I have tried the FSUIPC calibration many times in accordance with Peter Dowson's recommended procedure but to no avail.Could you be more specific on your fix. What config are you talking about as I would love to solve this problem.Regards,NeilYPAD

Be glad to Neil,First of all I have a different fs9.cfg profile for each aircraft I fly that maintains the settings for the configuration of that particular aircraft. This way I do not need to reprogram my TQ each time I select a different plane. Check in the library under the name David Roch for a detailed explanation on how to do this. So what I had done was to use the configuration I set up for the 737 Experience model and tried to modify it to the PMDG 737. That caused all sets of problems with the flaps.So I shut down the sim, went to C:/documents and settings/ {your name} computer/application data/Microsoft/FS9 and deleted the fs9.cfg icon. Then restart the sim and it will rebuild the cfg file. As soon as I did that, the flaps worked almost perfectly. You will need to readjust the sensitivities so TQ lever works the full range. Also you may need to go to options/assignments and assign the lever to the flaps. Should work, with all the detents being available. At least it did for me.Then I reprogrammed my TQ to the assigments I wanted for the PMDG and then created the new fs9.cfg and named it PMDG 737 Profile and all is Hunky Dori. Now I need to begin flying this bird. Been studing the FMC and all the doc's on flying her before actually doing so.Hope this helps and if your machine explodes, this conversation never happened. :). Seriously, if you have a problem, let me know and we'll see what we can do.Jim

Another discovery;Power must be supplied to the aircraft by means of the 'ground power' or the 'APU' for the flap lever to function properly. If power is completly off, the lever jumps around when the TQ lever is moved.Jim

Jim,Many thanks for the info. I will follow it up and hopefully have the same positive experience as yourself.NeilYPAD

Jim,I foregot to add, the FMC is the key to successfully flying/operating the 737 and 747. You literally can't know enough about its operation. I now have a few hundred hours on the 737 and I am comfortable in general with it (the FMC) but occasionally some interesting 'ROUTE DISCONTINUITIES'associted with selecting the instrument approach for the destination pop up which have me scratching my. Then its back to the good old heading command.NeilYPAD