Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Grumman Duck News Update

Guest Heather 636

G'Day Y'all.First, I wish to apologize for basically uploading a buggy airplane. Of course it was still better than the FS2000 version which wouldn't fly at all with 2k2.My only excuse was that I had already done everything that I could possibly do with my limited expertise. It was flyable, I was enjoying it, wanted others to have it.In the future, should I ever do something like this project again, I will be sure to ask the assistance of skilled beta testers before dumping an unfinished airplane in your laps.=====================================================================Now, for the GOOD news!!Since my release of this aircraft for FS2002, at my open invitation, there have been others, FAR more skilled than I, working on improving it, and boy have they done a wonderful job so far.Brian Gladden has done a wonderful job in locating and correcting the problem causing the plane to veer to the left, as well as making some flight dynamics corrections that also stabilizes it's flight at higher speeds.Bob Familton has done a Fantastic rework of the panel configuration as well as a few additions that makes the Duck even better.Thank you gentlemen, and thank you to all the others who have emailed me with a tip here and there that continues to make this plane even better.=====================================================================Every time I have uploaded a "fix", I no sooner get that uploaded when I receive news and advice that inproves it.Rather than inundate you all with one "fix" after another. I'm giving it a little time until Brian can take a look and see if he can tweak the dynamics a bit more. For example, this airplane should cruise much faster than what it currently is. Also, the overspeed setting is too low on it, coming on at around 150 knots.I also need to obtain a few more "permissions" in regards to the new and improved panel.When these last loose ends have been completed, rather than a fix, I will upload an entirely "New and Improved Grumman Duck" package.Keep your fingers crossed on the permissions and that all goes well for Brian and that we will soon be seeing a great new addition to the AVSIM library.Sincerely,Heather Sherman

Guest Grey_Wolf

I think I have the Cfg issues fixed. You posted, a while ago, some specs on the aircraft. If you can repost them I'd like to include that information in the cfg file so it can be read in the aircraft menu.Also I have a panel with all F4u Gauges rather than wildcat gauges. I have also added gps, and engine gauges. Let me know if you want them and I'll submit for you're aproval.Having Fun

Guest Reddog

Heather just wanted you to know that I'm flying it all the time just the way you uploaded it to start with. I did do the the fuel tank fix and I added the GeeBee sounds to it but that's all and she does just great Be sure to try those sounds it sure does add alot top the plane.I'm not worried about not having the original textures showing cause the rest of them are so great!!!!!great airplane girl, you done a good job with it.http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/reddog/596406.jpgUSMC Retired

Guest GZR_Frenchy

S! Reddog. Glad you like them GeeBee sounds. Heather -- Thank you for a very nice Float Plane. I will make you a Water Base anywhere in the world to fly from/to.Really.Frenchy -- out.

Guest Reddog

Hi Frenchy, yes those sounds are what that plane needed, in fact think I'll use them in all my round engine birds and I have a lot of them!!! Water Bases, did I hear Water Bases!!!! you make them and hundreds of us will fly to/from them. I think all or most of my addon scenery are water bases, Alaska, the Northwest and the Carib!!http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/reddog/596406.jpgUSMC Retired

Hi Heather,What a tremendous surprise to find a Duck now available! Thanks to you all for that effort! And just in case anyone wishes to know where in the world to find the only REAL one... :)In his book _Corsairville_, Graham Coster learns that "there were no flying boats in Britain going anywhere near water" so he's off to Florida, "the only place in the United States where you could turn up, buy a ticket, and catch a scheduled flying boat service". He decides to book a flight on a mallard ("built like a Mack truck but moves like a sports car"). "Remarkably too the plane [mallard] I was about to catch was run by the world's oldest airline. Flying Boats Incorporated (Miami), had been serving this route out to the Bahamas almost continuously since 1919". Next Coster goes to an attraction near Tampa named Fantasy of Flight.(The reason Coster went there was that, astonishingly, Week's owned a Shorts Sunderland!). "In the pilot's seat was a lanky bearded man with a long platied pony-tail. I was in luck. This was the great Kermit Weeks (six times national aeronautics champion)"... "This man once had the biggest private collection in the world (of vintage aircraft)"... "including what was now the only flyable Mosquito, then donated the lot to a charitable foundation and started up again here (at Fantasy of Flight)". "He'd just brought in an Avro Tudor... He was about to ferry back the last flying B-26 Marauder bomber... on 8 acres at the lakeside he was going to build his very own Pan Am Clipper base"... "Kermit had to leave: a Discovery Channel film crew was waiting to film him flying his Duck, a remarkable amphibious Grumman biplane whose single float protruded like Mr Punch's chin. Kermit,of course, had the only example left"... "Outside the hangar Kermit was climbing into the cockpit of the Duck and... its engine exploded into life in a frenzy of white smoke, and with tank-like sound effects the brutish Duck was off down the runway"...Lucky those who live Near Tampa Bay !Cheers !== WHK ==

Guest Grey_Wolf

Now thats just plain Too Cool!Its been an honer for me to help Heather with the Duck. As a kid a few aircraft got burned in to my skull. The Duck is one of the few I I ever got a name for. Keep up the work Hether, even with bugs I apriciate the effort and would love to help with other projects.

Guest Heather 636

Hi Y'all!!First of all, I'm sorry that I'm only now getting back to you. i had to leave yesterday afternoon and am only now finding time to sit down to the computer again.Thank You!!! Such kind words of appreciation. I have been overpaid for this work with such enthusiasm and encouragement! You're all great and I am tickled to have been a part of bringing this airplane back to life for FS2002.I must remind you though that I only played a small role in it in exhaustive search for Tom Schaad, the original creator, and had it not been for the help and assistance from so many of you, it would not have happened. All I did were a couple of repaints, a few tweaks here and there, and "packaging and shipping."The reall vote of appreciation goes to all of you who helped, and all of you who have shown your support with the enthusiasm of your, very impressive, number of downloads.I really hope to have the "New and Improved Duck" available soon. This time, i will force myself to SLOW DOWN and make sure, as much as is possible, that everything is working and correct before uploading it. Still waiting to see what nice surprises Brian Gladden will show me, and also permission from a few others for some "new" additions.Oh, Grey Wolf, those stats you asked about; here is a clip from a previous post to Brian Gladden:Wing span: Wing Span: 39 ft 0 in (11.9 m) Length: Length: 34 ft 0 in (10.4 m) Height: Height: 14 ft 6 in (4.4 m) Wing Area: 409 sq ft (38 sq m) Weights: Empty: 5,480 lbs (2,485 kg) Maximum T/O: 7,325 lbs (3,322 kg) Performance: Maximum Speed: 190 mph (305 kph) Cruising Speed: 155 mph (249 km/hr) Service Ceiling: 25,750 ft (7,848 m) Normal Range: 875 miles (2,408 km) When I tried to put in a full weight, she wouldn't even get off the water.And the cruise is supposed to be 155mph/129kts. At 150 indicated, the "Overspeed" warning comes on.I wish I could have done all this in advance, but alas, I am but an amateur at this stuff.I was just so tickled that we had a "flyable" model for FS2002, I wanted to get her out there to everybody.Any more tweaking you can do to make her perform more to the true aircraft would be highly appreciated; I am certain by far more people than myself.People who flightsim, whether it be flying, tweaking, painting, building, or whatever, are the greatest!!Cheers!!Heather

Guest Heather 636

Hi Frenchy!If you're serious and not just teasing me, it would be just peachy keen to have a Heather's Air Charter base. Although I just about have to have a runway too; no floats on my DC-3 :(Amywhere in the Port Angeles area of Wahington state would be excellent as that is where my family and I are currently looking at real estate in consideration of moving to. An acceptable alternative would be anywhere in the vicinity of Seattle.Lot's of eye candy please? You know, oil drums, discarded packing crates, a nice '57 Cadillac convertible, static model of a DC-3 Heather's Air Charter sitting there, etc etc.I'm just kidding Frenchy. I know this stuff is a LOT of work. If you're serious, ANYTHING you do will be received most pleasantly. It is so kind of you to offer.Scenery building is my next big step that I want to learn; just haven't found the time yet.Now, if I can just persuade Naji to build me an office at AVSIM Base, since I do contract out to BFU.And Don has that nice new base at Bettles. That's an awfully attractive vacant piece of ground over there by the tower Don ;)Hmmm, wonder if I can elbow my way into an office up at Moser Bay? Just having fun guys, I'll get time one of these days.Cheers!!Heather

Guest Heather 636

Okay bear, where do I find your "Cave?"Heather

Guest GZR_Frenchy

No, I'm not teasing you. Just finished building a series of Water Bases in Nebraska for a good friend. Hehe. I didn't even know they had lakes in Nebraska. Found out you can land and take off from the Missouri River. Neat.If you are serious about building scenery one day you may wish to start with my tutorial "GZR_Water Base Anywhere.zip". You can find it right here in the Avsim library together with most of my other sceneries and some GZR_Gmax aircraft. Mostly, the GZR's are CFS2 types and military in nature. So, the sceneries are CFS2 Euro placed in 1944-45 era. As this is a General Aviation Forum they most likely will not be known. Your Duck will fit right into many of the sceneries. Not to mention the Gooney Bird. I have a few sceneries in Italy and France that just might fit. Only started dabbling in Fs2002 when it was discovered my sceneries will not work in CFS3. Old dog must learn new trick.Will take a "sceney cruise" around Port Angeles.Frenchy -- out.

Guest Heather 636

No I don't RedDog, with income scarce, it hasn't been the highest priority on my want list. Finally got FSMaintenance, almost had FS Meteo until the car's water pump went out (Isn't that life!). Maybe after I get Meteo. Is it all that good?And is it worth the expenditure?regards,Heather